How to resize my root partition? - Questions

This is a discussion on How to resize my root partition? - Questions ; Hi NG! I've badly partitionned my hard disk and I suddenly have no more than 2 GB free space on /home whereas there are 18 GB available on / . Both partitions are reiserfs and they are contiguous. What's a ...

  1. How to resize my root partition?

    Hi NG!
    I've badly partitionned my hard disk and I suddenly have no more than
    2 GB free space on /home whereas there are 18 GB available on / . Both
    partitions are reiserfs and they are contiguous.
    What's a simple way to resize the root partition? I thought of parted
    but I'd then need some floppy distro to boot from, with parted on it,
    as / can't obviously be mounted while resizing it. What would you
    suggest?

    Thanks in advance,
    Bernd Haller

    # df -h
    /dev/hdb3 25G 8.0G 18G 32% /
    /dev/hdb4 14G 11G 2.6G 81% /home
    none 189M 0 189M 0% /dev/shm

    # fdisk -l /dev/hdb (with comments)

    Disk /dev/hdb: 41.1 GB, 41174138880 bytes
    16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 79780 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdb1 * 1 25 12568+ 83 Linux (/boot:
    ext2fs)
    /dev/hdb2 26 127 51408 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hdb3 128 52140 26214552 83 Linux (/ :
    reiserfs)
    /dev/hdb4 52141 79780 13930560 83 Linux (/home:
    reiserfs)

  2. Re: How to resize my root partition?

    stacko23@my-deja.com (0) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi NG!
    > I've badly partitionned my hard disk and I suddenly have no more than
    > 2 GB free space on /home whereas there are 18 GB available on / . Both
    > partitions are reiserfs and they are contiguous.
    > What's a simple way to resize the root partition?

    Parted should do it. They provide tools and instructions for root partition resize.

+ Reply to Thread