installing linux - Questions

This is a discussion on installing linux - Questions ; what the difference between downloading linux vs purchasing the package at the store. i am looking at suse 75 box for pro. also how can one install directly from a servia; I have a laptop and I want to install ...

  1. installing linux

    what the difference between downloading linux vs purchasing the package at
    the store.
    i am looking at suse 75 box for pro.

    also how can one install directly from a servia; I have a laptop and I want
    to install on that too;
    it doesn't have a floppy drive or a cd drive.

    thanks people

    stev

  2. Re: installing linux

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 05:12:44 GMT, "StvyLife" wrote:

    > what the difference between downloading linux vs purchasing the package at
    > the store.
    > i am looking at suse 75 box for pro.

    .... you dont HAVE to get the complete boxed set. you can
    get the 'upgrade' edition, which is the full pro boxed
    set, the difference is with the upgrade, you only get
    one manual (admin guide). this one is $49us

    the difference is the amount of software 'instantly available'.
    the pro has a bunch of software, right there on the CDs.

    If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they
    can sure make something out of you. - Muhammad Ali

  3. Re: installing linux

    hmm cool

  4. Re: installing linux

    StvyLife wrote:
    > what the difference between downloading linux vs purchasing the package at
    > the store.

    Oh, about $45. (ba dum bum)

    Ok, no joke.

    If you purchase a linux distribution, you get some things that you don't get
    when you download it for free. You get
    - customer service for problems
    - additional software
    - the convenience of a CDROM instead of 8 days of downloading @ 56kbps
    - the satisfaction of knowing that your financial contribution will assist your
    vendor in providing both after-sales service /and/ upgrades and new releases.

    > i am looking at suse 75 box for pro.
    >
    > also how can one install directly from a servia; I have a laptop and I want
    > to install on that too;
    > it doesn't have a floppy drive or a cd drive.

    That's a bit of a dilemma. Some distributions support a "network install"
    option, but they usually require some sort of offline media like floppy or
    cdrom. Assuming that your laptop has (a) some networking capability, (b) a FAT
    filesystem, and (c) an operating system that permits programs to interact with
    the bare hardware (i.e. something like WindowsME or below), then you can use
    your networking tools to retrieve a distribution that uses the "UMSDOS"
    filesystem, and run it. This would give you better access, including the ability
    to network install a full linux distro; think of it as bootstrapping Linux onto
    the system. (Slackware's "zipslack" distribution would do.)

    Other than that, I can't suggest anything. Your problem may be solvable, but
    we'll need to know a lot more about your laptop to make proper suggestions

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

  5. Re: installing linux

    StvyLife wrote:
    > also how can one install directly from a servia; I have a laptop and I want
    > to install on that too;
    > it doesn't have a floppy drive or a cd drive.

    You can open up your laptop, and extract the hard drive and connect it
    to a pc via a special connector (I got mine a Fry's), and then install
    GNU/Linux as one would on a regular PC.

+ Reply to Thread