smb.conf deadtime param crashes keventd on debian clients - Questions

This is a discussion on smb.conf deadtime param crashes keventd on debian clients - Questions ; Hello all. i'm a pretty experienced smbd admin. however, i've recently found problems with the deadtime parameter. In the smb.conf manpage: "Most clients have an auto-reconnect feature when a connectoin is broken so in most cases this parameter should be ...

  1. smb.conf deadtime param crashes keventd on debian clients

    Hello all.

    i'm a pretty experienced smbd admin. however, i've recently found problems
    with the deadtime parameter. In the smb.conf manpage: "Most clients have
    an auto-reconnect feature when a connectoin is broken so in most cases this
    parameter should be transparent to users." I need the deadtime parameter
    because I am running a high-end file server, but I have noticed that debian
    machines that have mounted shares are crashing due to an idle disconnect
    because of the deadtime setting. what happens is keventd crashes and the
    users looses use of his/her keyboard. a reboot is the only option to
    restore the machine. any suggestions as to how to get around this?

    Thanks ahead of time!

    --josh

    --
    To Run Fast, You Must Run Fast.
    -- http://www.MyRunning.com --

  2. Re: smb.conf deadtime param crashes keventd on debian clients

    Joshua Forester wrote:

    > Hello all.
    >
    > i'm a pretty experienced smbd admin. however, i've recently found
    > problems
    > with the deadtime parameter. In the smb.conf manpage: "Most clients have
    > an auto-reconnect feature when a connectoin is broken so in most cases
    > this
    > parameter should be transparent to users." I need the deadtime parameter
    > because I am running a high-end file server, but I have noticed that
    > debian machines that have mounted shares are crashing due to an idle
    > disconnect
    > because of the deadtime setting. what happens is keventd crashes and the
    > users looses use of his/her keyboard. a reboot is the only option to
    > restore the machine. any suggestions as to how to get around this?
    >
    > Thanks ahead of time!
    >
    > --josh

    Just to follow up this post, I've figured out the trouble. Apparently not
    all linux clients connecting crashed after the deadtime was up. Luckily
    for me, there were a couple of debian security releases that appear to have
    fixed the problem.

    --josh

    --
    To Run Fast, You Must Run Fast.