dig works, but Mozilla can't resolve - Questions

This is a discussion on dig works, but Mozilla can't resolve - Questions ; Hi folks: I use the rh 9.0. After I changed my dns server, I can't use any applications such as Mozilla and wget for resolving name failed. But when I using the "host" , "dig" and "nslookup" to resolve this ...

  1. dig works, but Mozilla can't resolve

    Hi folks:

    I use the rh 9.0. After I changed my dns server, I can't use any
    applications such as Mozilla and wget for resolving name failed. But
    when I using the "host" , "dig" and "nslookup" to resolve this name,
    they all work.

    Why? Can anybody help me?

    Thanks in advance.

    Che Kenan

  2. Re: dig works, but Mozilla can't resolve

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:57:08 -0800, Che Kenan wrote:

    > Hi folks:
    >
    > I use the rh 9.0. After I changed my dns server, I can't use any
    > applications such as Mozilla and wget for resolving name failed. But when
    > I using the "host" , "dig" and "nslookup" to resolve this name, they all
    > work.
    >
    > Why? Can anybody help me?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Che Kenan

    Have you looked at your /etc/resolv.conf file? That is where dns lookups
    know where to find the name servers.

  3. Re: dig works, but Mozilla can't resolve

    Hi Dan,

    Thank you for your reply.

    > Have you looked at your /etc/resolv.conf file? That is where dns lookups
    > know where to find the name servers.

    Yes. I updated this file, so the "dig" can work. Its content is :
    "nameserver 'the dns' ip'". Only one line. Did I miss something?

    I think programs such as "dig" and "host" use the same name resolve
    library as normal applications(e.g., Mozilla, ftp, wget etc.) use. Is
    it right?

    Che Kenan

  4. Re: dig works, but Mozilla can't resolve

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:04:48 -0800, Che Kenan wrote:

    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > Thank you for your reply.
    >
    >> Have you looked at your /etc/resolv.conf file? That is where dns lookups
    >> know where to find the name servers.

    > Yes. I updated this file, so the "dig" can work. Its content is :
    > "nameserver 'the dns' ip'". Only one line. Did I miss something?

    Mine is different. For one thing, it lists the nameservers by their actual
    IP four digit address. Ezample:

    domain localdomain #kppp temp entry
    #
    nameserver 207.69.188.187 #kppp temp entry
    nameserver 207.69.188.186 #kppp temp entry

    You will note that #kppp temp entry which refers to the fact that my
    dialup (kppp) gets this information from the server when it dials in. You
    need to make sure your nameservers have that 4 digit IP number I suspect.

    > I think programs such as "dig" and "host" use the same name resolve
    > library as normal applications(e.g., Mozilla, ftp, wget etc.) use. Is it
    > right?
    >

    > Che Kenan

+ Reply to Thread