cdrw - Questions

This is a discussion on cdrw - Questions ; Where can I get the CORRECT packet writing patch for the 2.4.20-8 kernel? I'm running RH 9.0 and I'm getting errors trying to compile the patch that says its supposed to be for the 2.4.18 and below kernel. Or is ...

  1. cdrw

    Where can I get the CORRECT packet writing patch for the 2.4.20-8 kernel?
    I'm running RH 9.0 and I'm getting errors trying to compile the patch that
    says its supposed to be for the 2.4.18 and below kernel. Or is there only
    one patch?

    -D

    Drew McBee
    Network Administrator
    Tradesmen International

  2. Re: cdrw

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:16:34 -0500, "Gblx News" wrote:

    > Where can I get the CORRECT

    .... x-posting to so many groups means you havent thought
    clearly about *where* to post to. do you hunt deer with
    a shotgun? second problem is you didnt set a followup

    America may be unique in being a country which has leapt from
    barbarism to decadence without touching civilization. - John O'Hara

  3. Re: cdrw

    mjt writes:

    >... x-posting to so many groups means you havent thought
    >clearly about *where* to post to. do you hunt deer with
    >a shotgun? second problem is you didnt set a followup

    This is a poor analogy, as people do hunt deer with shotguns. That is why
    some shotgun ammo is known as "buck shot" and others as "deer slugs".

    --
    Mark Cudworth

  4. Re: cdrw

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:26:15 -0600, markc@panix.com.invalid (Mark Cudworth) wrote:

    > >... x-posting to so many groups means you havent thought
    > >clearly about *where* to post to. do you hunt deer with
    > >a shotgun? second problem is you didnt set a followup

    > This is a poor analogy, as people do hunt deer with shotguns. That is why
    > some shotgun ammo is known as "buck shot" and others as "deer slugs".

    ..... the intent was that the hunter is trying to
    hit MANY deer with a single shot, much like what
    x-posting is trying to accomplish

    Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it.
    -- William Buckley

  5. Re: cdrw

    mjt writes:
    >On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:26:15 -0600, markc@panix.com.invalid (Mark Cudworth) wrote:
    >
    >> >... x-posting to so many groups means you havent thought
    >> >clearly about *where* to post to. do you hunt deer with
    >> >a shotgun? second problem is you didnt set a followup

    >> This is a poor analogy, as people do hunt deer with shotguns. That is why
    >> some shotgun ammo is known as "buck shot" and others as "deer slugs".

    >.... the intent was that the hunter is trying to
    >hit MANY deer with a single shot, much like what
    >x-posting is trying to accomplish

    But it remains a poor analogy becuase you phrased it as a question -- "Do
    you hunt deer with a shotgun?" -- and the answer might very well be "yes",
    which implies what the OP did was correct. He *WAS* trying to hit several
    deer with a single single shot, and most hunters wouldn't mind taking down
    a couple of bucks with a single shotshell as well. You need an example
    where "overkill" is actually a bad thing and where no one reasonable
    actually does what you mention in the analogy, such as "Do you put thumbtacks
    in your wall with a sledghammer?" or "Do you hunt deer with a howitzer?"

    --
    Mark Cudworth

  6. Re: cdrw

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:40:39 -0600, markc@panix.com.invalid (Mark Cudworth) wrote:

    > actually does what you mention in the analogy, such as "Do you put thumbtacks
    > in your wall with a sledghammer?" or "Do you hunt deer with a howitzer?"

    .... do you clean your toilet with a flamethrower ?

    Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have
    trouble doing it. - Tallulah Bankhead

  7. Re: cdrw

    mjt writes:
    >On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:40:39 -0600, markc@panix.com.invalid (Mark Cudworth) wrote:
    >
    >> actually does what you mention in the analogy, such as "Do you put thumbtacks
    >> in your wall with a sledghammer?" or "Do you hunt deer with a howitzer?"

    >... do you clean your toilet with a flamethrower ?

    Exactly! I like this one -- it is much more colorful than the original!

    --
    Mark Cudworth

  8. Re: cdrw

    Thanks for your ANALysis of my post, mike. I cross post to reach as many
    reasonable folks as possible. OH, wait - looks like that didn't work - yet.

    -D

    "Gblx News" wrote in message
    > Where can I get the CORRECT packet writing patch for the 2.4.20-8 kernel?
    > I'm running RH 9.0 and I'm getting errors trying to compile the patch that
    > says its supposed to be for the 2.4.18 and below kernel. Or is there only
    > one patch?
    >
    > -D
    >

    > --
    > Drew McBee
    > Network Administrator
    > Tradesmen International

  9. Re: cdrw

    Mark Cudworth wrote:
    > This is a poor analogy, as people do hunt deer with shotguns. That is why
    > some shotgun ammo is known as "buck shot" and others as "deer slugs".

    Thus, I use "deer slugs" to shoot a whitetail buck, but I
    use "buck shot" to shoot a Canada goose. :-)

    Actually, I use a .243 or .30-06 for deer and haven't hunted
    goose in years. :-P

  10. Re: cdrw

    Message rec'd lads.
    Thanks.

    -D

    Cudworth) wrote:

    > >> actually does what you mention in the analogy, such as "Do you put

    thumbtacks
    > >> in your wall with a sledghammer?" or "Do you hunt deer with a

    howitzer?"

    > >... do you clean your toilet with a flamethrower ?

    > Exactly! I like this one -- it is much more colorful than the original!
    >
    > --
    > Mark Cudworth

+ Reply to Thread