Remove installed packages - Questions

This is a discussion on Remove installed packages - Questions ; I install my packages through the command line with the command rpm -ivh PACKAGENAME and it installs ok. But when I try to uninstall it I have problems... For example I do rpm -e PACKAGENAME but it says that the ...

  1. Remove installed packages

    I install my packages through the command line with the command

    rpm -ivh PACKAGENAME

    and it installs ok.

    But when I try to uninstall it I have problems... For example I do

    rpm -e PACKAGENAME

    but it says that the package isn't installed...

    to see if it's installed, I try to upgrade the package with the same
    one:

    rpm -Uvh PACKAGENAME

    and I get an error, package already installed...

    Can't linux decide if it's installed or not?

    If the way I'm using to uninstall an RPM is wrong, can someone point
    me to the correct way?

    cmad

  2. Re: Remove installed packages

    On 15 Dec 2003 07:55:35 -0800, cmad_x@yahoo.com (Chris Mantoulidis) wrote:

    > If the way I'm using to uninstall an RPM is wrong, can someone point
    > me to the correct way?

    ..... have you tried to rebuild the database?

    "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

  3. Re: Remove installed packages

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:55:35 -0800, Chris Mantoulidis typed:

    > I install my packages through the command line with the command
    >
    > rpm -ivh PACKAGENAME
    >
    > and it installs ok.
    >

    > But when I try to uninstall it I have problems... For example I do
    >
    > rpm -e PACKAGENAME
    >
    > but it says that the package isn't installed...
    >
    > to see if it's installed, I try to upgrade the package with the same
    > one:
    >
    > rpm -Uvh PACKAGENAME
    >
    > and I get an error, package already installed...
    >
    > Can't linux decide if it's installed or not?
    >
    > If the way I'm using to uninstall an RPM is wrong, can someone point me
    > to the correct way?

    Common problem with those new to RPM. Please read 'man rpm' for the
    details or if you want;

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...rpm-using.html

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  4. Re: Remove installed packages

    Chris Mantoulidis wrote:

    > But when I try to uninstall it I have problems... For example I do
    >
    > rpm -e PACKAGENAME
    >
    > but it says that the package isn't installed...

    Are you really using the PACKAGENAME or rather the filename?

    rpm -qa shows all names of installed packages.

    HTH. Hermann

  5. Re: Remove installed packages

    cmad_x@yahoo.com (Chris Mantoulidis) wrote in message news:...
    > I install my packages through the command line with the command
    >
    > rpm -ivh PACKAGENAME
    >
    > and it installs ok.

    Thats odd. Normally rpm packages have a .rpm extension.

    > But when I try to uninstall it I have problems... For example I do
    >
    > rpm -e PACKAGENAME
    >
    > but it says that the package isn't installed...

    Then it isn't installed! Do you have X-windows? Maybe a GUI rpm tool
    would be better for you?

  6. Re: Remove installed packages

    "Chris Mantoulidis" wrote in message
    news:a8587dd9.0312150755.3251e516@posting.google.c om

    > I install my packages through the command line with the command
    > rpm -ivh PACKAGENAME
    > and it installs ok.
    >
    > But when I try to uninstall it I have problems... For example I do
    > rpm -e PACKAGENAME
    > but it says that the package isn't installed...

    Don't include the ".rpm".

    > to see if it's installed, I try to upgrade the package with the same
    > one:
    > rpm -Uvh PACKAGENAME
    > and I get an error, package already installed...

    rpm -qa | grep NAME

    > Can't linux decide if it's installed or not?
    > If the way I'm using to uninstall an RPM is wrong, can someone point
    > me to the correct way?

    man rpm.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  7. Re: Remove installed packages

    "ynotssor" <"ynotssor"> wrote in message news:<3fde18b6_5@corp.newsgroups.com>...
    > "Chris Mantoulidis" wrote in message
    > news:a8587dd9.0312150755.3251e516@posting.google.c om
    >
    > > I install my packages through the command line with the command
    > > rpm -ivh PACKAGENAME
    > > and it installs ok.
    > >
    > > But when I try to uninstall it I have problems... For example I do
    > > rpm -e PACKAGENAME
    > > but it says that the package isn't installed...

    > Don't include the ".rpm".

    Yeah that kinda fixes it.

    But is it normal to take SO SO SO SO SO long to uninstall one package?
    I have been waiting for like 20 mins for it...

  8. Re: Remove installed packages

    On 16 Dec 2003 06:17:04 -0800, cmad_x@yahoo.com (Chris Mantoulidis) wrote:

    > > Don't include the ".rpm".

    > Yeah that kinda fixes it.
    >
    > But is it normal to take SO SO SO SO SO long to uninstall one package?
    > I have been waiting for like 20 mins for it...

    .... run 'top' and see what's up. do you have DMA turned
    on for the drive?

    .... at least I thought I was dancing, 'til somebody stepped on my hand.
    -- J. B. White

  9. Re: Remove installed packages

    mjt wrote in message news:<2yEDb.1091$Ts5.773@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.ne t>...
    > On 16 Dec 2003 06:17:04 -0800, cmad_x@yahoo.com (Chris Mantoulidis) wrote:
    >
    > > > Don't include the ".rpm".

    > > Yeah that kinda fixes it.
    > >
    > > But is it normal to take SO SO SO SO SO long to uninstall one package?
    > > I have been waiting for like 20 mins for it...

    > ... run 'top' and see what's up. do you have DMA turned
    > on for the drive?

    Well, since I see this some hours after I posted (I just got back),
    it's been a while since I canceled it...

    I had been waiting for it to finish (for an hour?) and it still
    hadn't... so I got bored and stopped it...

    Anyway, since that's just my backup HD I don't really care... I use my
    linux for real on my other HD.

    Anyway, since I'm a newbie, what's DMA??

+ Reply to Thread