what distro for the old systems out there? - Questions

This is a discussion on what distro for the old systems out there? - Questions ; I am just getting my fingers into linux, so bear with me... I am just messing around with a P200 with 64mb ram and a 1.2 gig HD (cd, floppy etc) I thought redhat would be best to use as ...

  1. what distro for the old systems out there?

    I am just getting my fingers into linux, so bear with me... I am just
    messing around with a P200 with 64mb ram and a 1.2 gig HD (cd, floppy etc)

    I thought redhat would be best to use as it's often mentioned, it looks
    real nice and seems to have everything I could want, but maybe far too
    much for this old computer with it's minimal space and ram. Got it
    completely installed, but no gnome, just the most basic + X11... (not
    enuff for my lazy ass)

    I am trying again using some more in-depth package de-selection for
    printing and stuff I'm not gonna be doing at all... maybe I can make it
    work, but I can sense that this machine's not gonna be very complete
    until it's got at least 3 or 4 gigs of working HD space with this
    distro. what's smaller *new* and still easy enough for gui addicts version?

    -Schwa

  2. Re: what distro for the old systems out there?

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:50:19 GMT, Schwa Alien wrote:

    > I am just getting my fingers into linux, so bear with me... I am just
    > messing around with a P200 with 64mb ram and a 1.2 gig HD (cd, floppy etc)

    .... slackware would work nicely. suse would also.
    Going to church does not make a person religious, nor does going
    to school make a person educated, any more than going to a garage
    makes a person a car.

  3. Re: what distro for the old systems out there?

    Schwa Alien wrote in message news:<%IdDb.710740$pl3.24948@pd7tw3no>...
    > I am just getting my fingers into linux, so bear with me... I am just
    > messing around with a P200 with 64mb ram and a 1.2 gig HD (cd, floppy etc)

    .... Suggestion: get yourself a new computer... I know you'll find it
    helpful... You can't do much with 64MB RAM and 1.2gig HD nowadays, can
    you?

    > I thought redhat would be best to use as it's often mentioned, it looks
    > real nice and seems to have everything I could want, but maybe far too
    > much for this old computer with it's minimal space and ram. Got it
    > completely installed, but no gnome, just the most basic + X11... (not
    > enuff for my lazy ass)

    If you're a GUI addict as you say below, just X11 will seem like hell
    to you. But since there is not space to add GNOME or KDE, then as I
    said, get a new PC. Or anyway get a new HD and a new RAM...

    > I am trying again using some more in-depth package de-selection for
    > printing and stuff I'm not gonna be doing at all... maybe I can make it
    > work, but I can sense that this machine's not gonna be very complete
    > until it's got at least 3 or 4 gigs of working HD space with this
    > distro. what's smaller *new* and still easy enough for gui addicts version?
    >
    > -Schwa

    I can't think of a distro with a nice GUI etc etc that will suit your
    computer.

    So either buy a new computer (or a new HD and a new RAM)
    OR
    Get yourself a QNX

    cmad

  4. Re: what distro for the old systems out there?

    Chris Mantoulidis wrote:
    > ... Suggestion: get yourself a new computer... I know you'll find it
    > helpful... You can't do much with 64MB RAM and 1.2gig HD nowadays, can
    > you?

    aye, that's my plan... I have a much newer PC (1.1gig.celeron 768mb ram
    37gig HD)that I'm gonna clean out some cobwebs (ie M$ crap) and actually
    *use* for a change. I thought it'd be real cool to have a full linux
    distro as a router, but it's not necessary to have that, now I realize
    there's *linux based* products specifically suited for such a task and
    fit in small, old PC machine like mine and can be run headless with good
    web remote admin, just like a hardware solution.

    -Schwa

  5. Re: what distro for the old systems out there?

    Schwa Alien wrote in message news:<%IdDb.710740$pl3.24948@pd7tw3no>...
    > I am just getting my fingers into linux, so bear with me... I am just
    > messing around with a P200 with 64mb ram and a 1.2 gig HD (cd, floppy etc)

    Actually your hardware is not *so* very old. I am just figuring out
    how to run linux (and X!) on an old 4MB laptop with 120 MB disk. Some
    postings on the web indicate that this is not feasible; but I have
    actually found more than one distribution which promises to be able to
    do that.

    To answer your question: there are several distributions around for
    small disks and older computers like yours.

    (1) You should have a look at "Vector Linux" 4.0, which is reported to
    be quite fast. The ISO download is 200 MB. I seem to remember it is
    Slackware based but sleeker and even faster. You do not need to bloat
    your PC with KDE or Gnome to do GUI computing; Vector Linux uses ICE
    Window Manager which is smaller, faster and still functional. (You
    will lose the ability to run the "K" and "Gnome" applications,
    however, if you do not install the respective libraries.) I have tried
    the install on my laptop and found it quite comfortable.

    There is also an "office" version of Vector 3.2 for download (>600 MB)
    which includes KDE and Gnome and OpenOffice applications.

    (2) Another small distro is "Peanut Linux" (ISO download is 340 MB),
    which comes with KDE and OpenOffice. Your PC is low on memory,
    however, so you should sacrifice a reasonable portion of your disk
    space to a swap partition if you plan to use Java applications like
    OpenOffice.

    Maybe you could wait though until the small distros include the newer
    OpenOffice version 1.1, which is reported to be faster and better than
    the old one.

    (3) If you are interested in a Debian based distro you could have a
    look into the Canadian Libranet distro (540 MB download).

    Greetings.

+ Reply to Thread