Linux on Router to replace win98 - Questions

This is a discussion on Linux on Router to replace win98 - Questions ; I have a small 'family' of computers in my home, and I'm looking to revamp the software on my gateway machine. Currently it's running Windows 98 and Winroute Pro on a P200... I have set it up to perform basic ...

  1. Linux on Router to replace win98

    I have a small 'family' of computers in my home, and I'm looking to
    revamp the software on my gateway machine. Currently it's running
    Windows 98 and Winroute Pro on a P200... I have set it up to perform
    basic NAT, DNS forwarding, some IP filtering and port mapping within
    winroute's gui. I want to toss windows, and replace it with some linux
    distro, but as much as I read about each flavour I can't seem to
    determine what's gonna be the easiest to use as a replacement for the
    current configuration.

    I am slowly adapting to unix in general on my Mac OS X machine (inside
    the network) but obviously it's not linux. I have installed the
    x-windows system (via Fink-Commander gui for the debian tools) and a lot
    of the free software that's been ported over to darwin to play with and
    become familar with it, so far so good. I can make virtual desktops and
    login to them via VNC (FAST!!!) and also run x-apps on a winXP machine
    using a windows implementation of the x-server from my mac (wooT!! very
    fast and uses the PC's local 3D video hardware)... and of course run
    XDarwin, to load programs locally, fast with no consumption of local
    network bandwidth)

    I guess what I need to know is if the Linux (and what 'flavour')
    operating environtment has the same sort of general GUI interfaces to
    network functions and features as windows and mac os have so that
    someone with a general knowledge of computer operation and setup for
    network etc, but not wanting to have to learn (and teach) a lot of new
    interface obstacles such as lengthly command lines...

    If I make no sense just tell me, but I am probably in the shoes of a
    lotta longtime mac users, slowly getting the boot from apple for support
    for older hardware with their latest OS, and using windows is really
    sickening, but there's binaries for doing anything and the hardware it
    runs on is still cheaper (only because I can build my own).

    The 'router' machine will be my first attempt since I have a 'spare'
    identical machine I can configure and swap it in it's place to avoid any
    long delays in setup (my family likes to *freak* when the internet dies,
    luckily, not very often thus far but winroute has crashed a couple times)

    If the router works well I'll probably replace my Beige G3's Mac OS X
    10.2 with Linux, and ultimately try to get *EverQuest* to run in Linux
    on my current PC game machine, I have heard Gentoo is recomended due to
    it's speed... Eventually my other family member's computers will
    probably migrate to Linux, it seems like the way to go... I'd appreciate
    some input and maybe some guidance, heh, or what u think I need.

    Cheers ;-)

    ______________
    Schwa D. Alien

  2. Re: Linux on Router to replace win98

    "Schwa Alien" wrote in message
    > I have a small 'family' of computers in my home, and I'm looking to
    > revamp the software on my gateway machine. Currently it's running
    > Windows 98 and Winroute Pro on a P200... I have set it up to perform
    > basic NAT, DNS forwarding, some IP filtering and port mapping within
    > winroute's gui. I want to toss windows, and replace it with some linux
    > distro, but as much as I read about each flavour I can't seem to
    > determine what's gonna be the easiest to use as a replacement for the
    > current configuration.

    I would simply use a cable/dsl router from linksys netgear dlink etc.
    They are much easier to set up and no moving parts and they also use
    less electricity.

    > I guess what I need to know is if the Linux (and what 'flavour')
    > operating environtment has the same sort of general GUI interfaces to
    > network functions and features as windows and mac os have so that
    > someone with a general knowledge of computer operation and setup for
    > network etc, but not wanting to have to learn (and teach) a lot of new
    > interface obstacles such as lengthly command lines...

    I have worked with Redhat for a couple of years now and just installed
    SUSE 8.2 and SUSE seems to have more GUI tools than Redhat. From what
    I have read SUSE is also more stable.

    Bill

  3. Re: Linux on Router to replace win98

    William Dooley wrote:
    > "Schwa Alien" wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a small 'family' of computers in my home, and I'm looking to
    >>revamp the software on my gateway machine. Currently it's running
    >>Windows 98 and Winroute Pro on a P200... I have set it up to perform
    >>basic NAT, DNS forwarding, some IP filtering and port mapping within
    >>winroute's gui. I want to toss windows, and replace it with some linux
    >>distro, but as much as I read about each flavour I can't seem to
    >>determine what's gonna be the easiest to use as a replacement for the
    >>current configuration.

    > I would simply use a cable/dsl router from linksys netgear dlink etc.
    > They are much easier to set up and no moving parts and they also use
    > less electricity.

    Yes, I suppose a pure router would serve me well, but I would also like
    to move my webserver back to the 'router' machine, the only reason it's
    not running my webserver is because win98 is horribly unreliable and
    slow for that purpose. I am currently running Apache on my Mac OSX
    machine and on my WinXP machine as a backup server that I sometimes swap
    in while performing maintenance on the mac.

    >>I guess what I need to know is if the Linux (and what 'flavour')
    >>operating environtment has the same sort of general GUI interfaces to
    >>network functions and features as windows and mac os have so that
    >>someone with a general knowledge of computer operation and setup for
    >>network etc, but not wanting to have to learn (and teach) a lot of new
    >>interface obstacles such as lengthly command lines...

    > I have worked with Redhat for a couple of years now and just installed
    > SUSE 8.2 and SUSE seems to have more GUI tools than Redhat. From what
    > I have read SUSE is also more stable.

    I have downloaded Redhat, most articles say start with redhat, so I
    grabbed it without blinking, however I want a very complete and mature
    operating environment that will let me do most things without messing
    around too much at first with compiling or other seemingly complex
    tasks. Is redhat good to start with because of available binaries?
    that seems to be the explanation I can think of. I have also been told
    SUSE is really nice, quite similar and complete like redhat. I guess I
    read on...

    -Schwa

  4. Re: Linux on Router to replace win98

    > William Dooley wrote:
    > > "Schwa Alien" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I have a small 'family' of computers in my home, and I'm looking to
    > >>revamp the software on my gateway machine. Currently it's running
    > >>Windows 98 and Winroute Pro on a P200... I have set it up to perform
    > >>basic NAT, DNS forwarding, some IP filtering and port mapping within
    > >>winroute's gui. I want to toss windows, and replace it with some linux
    > >>distro, but as much as I read about each flavour I can't seem to
    > >>determine what's gonna be the easiest to use as a replacement for the
    > >>current configuration.

    > > I would simply use a cable/dsl router from linksys netgear dlink etc.
    > > They are much easier to set up and no moving parts and they also use
    > > less electricity.
    > >

    > Yes, I suppose a pure router would serve me well, but I would also like
    > to move my webserver back to the 'router' machine, the only reason it's
    > not running my webserver is because win98 is horribly unreliable and
    > slow for that purpose. I am currently running Apache on my Mac OSX
    > machine and on my WinXP machine as a backup server that I sometimes swap
    > in while performing maintenance on the mac.

    What I did was use a DSL/Cable router and do a Port Forwarding to the Win98
    machine
    that you want to make linux. That is the best way. That way the Linux box
    is not
    directly exposed to the Internet and only the ports that you open on the
    router box
    are available.

    > >>I guess what I need to know is if the Linux (and what 'flavour')
    > >>operating environtment has the same sort of general GUI interfaces to
    > >>network functions and features as windows and mac os have so that
    > >>someone with a general knowledge of computer operation and setup for
    > >>network etc, but not wanting to have to learn (and teach) a lot of new
    > >>interface obstacles such as lengthly command lines...

    > > I have worked with Redhat for a couple of years now and just installed
    > > SUSE 8.2 and SUSE seems to have more GUI tools than Redhat. From what
    > > I have read SUSE is also more stable.
    > >

    > I have downloaded Redhat, most articles say start with redhat, so I
    > grabbed it without blinking, however I want a very complete and mature
    > operating environment that will let me do most things without messing
    > around too much at first with compiling or other seemingly complex
    > tasks. Is redhat good to start with because of available binaries?
    > that seems to be the explanation I can think of. I have also been told
    > SUSE is really nice, quite similar and complete like redhat. I guess I
    > read on...

    RedHat is good however but Novell though that SUSE was better that's why
    Novell bought them.

    Cheers Bill

  5. Re: Linux on Router to replace win98

    okok, so I dusted off the extra p200 and installed RedHat Linux 9 on it,
    but like I thought would end up happening, the installation was too
    large to fit into a 1.2 gig drive and thus was reduce in size by
    removing the kde and gnome stuff, making it pretty tricky for noobie to
    setup the networking stuff I am used to setting up on mac/win gui's...

    Not wanting to spend any cash on a hardware router, nor a big hard drive
    for an old machine, I'll prolly need to shuffle some other disks from
    other computers to get a router system woring *my* way.

    I assume there must be smaller distros that can run comfortably
    including some form of desktop environment... yes? no?

    -Schwa (the curious, lazy one)

    William Dooley wrote:
    > "Schwa Alien" wrote in message
    >
    >>William Dooley wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Schwa Alien" wrote in message

    >>>I would simply use a cable/dsl router from linksys netgear dlink etc.
    >>>They are much easier to set up and no moving parts and they also use
    >>>less electricity.
    >>>

    >>Yes, I suppose a pure router would serve me well, but I would also like
    >>to move my webserver back to the 'router' machine, the only reason it's
    >>not running my webserver is because win98 is horribly unreliable and
    >>slow for that purpose. I am currently running Apache on my Mac OSX
    >>machine and on my WinXP machine as a backup server that I sometimes swap
    >>in while performing maintenance on the mac.

    > What I did was use a DSL/Cable router and do a Port Forwarding to the Win98
    > machine
    > that you want to make linux. That is the best way. That way the Linux box
    > is not
    > directly exposed to the Internet and only the ports that you open on the
    > router box
    > are available.

    >>>I have worked with Redhat for a couple of years now and just installed
    >>>SUSE 8.2 and SUSE seems to have more GUI tools than Redhat. From what
    >>>I have read SUSE is also more stable.
    >>>

    >>I have downloaded Redhat, most articles say start with redhat, so I
    >>grabbed it without blinking, however I want a very complete and mature
    >>operating environment that will let me do most things without messing
    >>around too much at first with compiling or other seemingly complex
    >>tasks. Is redhat good to start with because of available binaries?
    >>that seems to be the explanation I can think of. I have also been told
    >>SUSE is really nice, quite similar and complete like redhat. I guess I
    >>read on...
    >>

    > RedHat is good however but Novell though that SUSE was better that's why
    > Novell bought them.
    >
    > Cheers Bill

  6. Re: Linux on Router to replace win98

    Schwa Alien wrote:

    > okok, so I dusted off the extra p200 and installed RedHat Linux 9 on it,
    > but like I thought would end up happening, the installation was too
    > large to fit into a 1.2 gig drive and thus was reduce in size by
    > removing the kde and gnome stuff, making it pretty tricky for noobie to
    > setup the networking stuff I am used to setting up on mac/win gui's...
    >
    > Not wanting to spend any cash on a hardware router, nor a big hard drive
    > for an old machine, I'll prolly need to shuffle some other disks from
    > other computers to get a router system woring *my* way.
    >
    > I assume there must be smaller distros that can run comfortably
    > including some form of desktop environment... yes? no?
    >
    > -Schwa (the curious, lazy one)

    Hello Schwa:

    Take a look at www.smoothwall.org and see what you think of the Smoothwall
    Express software. It is linux based and I have the earlier version in
    operation here at the house. No problems with it and very reliable and
    stable and easy to install. I have never had it crash or lock up since I
    installed it over a year ago.

    And it can handle a few other functions for you.

    Virtual private network if you need it.
    Dynamic DNS if needed.
    Intrusion detection. Who doesn't need this one?
    logging of everything that one would need.
    Able to host a fairly large number of computers.

    If you have a web server on your list of needs then I would recommend
    looking into a third interface on the box for what is called the ORANGE
    interface. This is where you would put the web server so people outside
    of your green network would be able to get to it.

    Good luck and I hope this helps you find something that fits your needs.

  7. Re: Linux on Router to replace win98

    Allan Butler wrote:

    > Hello Schwa:
    >
    > Take a look at www.smoothwall.org and see what you think of the Smoothwall
    > Express software. It is linux based and I have the earlier version in
    > operation here at the house. No problems with it and very reliable and
    > stable and easy to install. I have never had it crash or lock up since I
    > installed it over a year ago.

    Cool! thanks, I think it's great that there's so much quality stuff ou
    there that it's hard to even know what to look for at first!

    Thanks for the tip, I am torrenting it now

  8. Re: Linux on Router to replace win98

    Schwa Alien wrote in message news:...
    > I have a small 'family' of computers in my home, and I'm looking to
    > revamp the software on my gateway machine. Currently it's running
    > Windows 98 and Winroute Pro on a P200... I have set it up to perform
    > basic NAT, DNS forwarding, some IP filtering and port mapping within
    > winroute's gui. I want to toss windows, and replace it with some linux
    > distro, but as much as I read about each flavour I can't seem to
    > determine what's gonna be the easiest to use as a replacement for the
    > current configuration.

    I use this floppy-based router package. Runs great on a 486 with 8Mb
    ram. Real easy to set up too - under 5 minutes!

    http://www.bbiagent.net/

+ Reply to Thread