Using zip command with self-extracting WinZip archives - Questions

This is a discussion on Using zip command with self-extracting WinZip archives - Questions ; Hey folks, I've got a self-extracting executable that was made with WinZip, and I can decompress the file on Linux with the unzip command. If I try to add files using zip -A (the -A parameter tells zip that the ...

  1. Using zip command with self-extracting WinZip archives

    Hey folks,

    I've got a self-extracting executable that was made with WinZip, and I can
    decompress the file on Linux with the unzip command. If I try to add files
    using zip -A (the -A parameter tells zip that the preamble on the file is an
    ..exe header), the file is corrupted when I try to run it on Windows,
    although on Linux I can still unzip the file correctly.

    It appears that zip is incompatible with the preamble stored by WinZip? Is
    there a way around this?
    --
    Daniel Medeiros

  2. Re: Using zip command with self-extracting WinZip archives

    "DCTGod" wrote in message
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > I've got a self-extracting executable that was made with WinZip, and I can
    > decompress the file on Linux with the unzip command. If I try to add

    files
    > using zip -A (the -A parameter tells zip that the preamble on the file is

    an
    > .exe header), the file is corrupted when I try to run it on Windows,
    > although on Linux I can still unzip the file correctly.
    >
    > It appears that zip is incompatible with the preamble stored by WinZip?

    Is
    > there a way around this?
    > --
    > Daniel Medeiros

    There are DOS-based versions of zip, unzip, zip2exe etc.
    that may solve the incompatibility issue. See:
    http://www.info-zip.org
    --
    Herb Stein
    The Herb Stein Group