I finally got to the point where I could run aplay with a wav file and
hear it.
I then brought up GNOME and I hear the intro music but I couldn't get
any other sounds in Gnome. Before leaving Gnome, I diff'd asound.state
and modules.conf with a duplicate I created. There were no
differences. I exited from Gnome and returned to command line mode.
Tried running the aplay test to no avail, sound stopped there too. Ran
alsaconf and sound started working again.
Can someone tell me what is occuring? Why should alsaconf need to be
run each time I want to hear sounds?
Many thanx,
Razzle