uninstall packages.. - Questions

This is a discussion on uninstall packages.. - Questions ; hello, I want to know how can i remove any RPM package installed on my linux workstation. UN-Installation in windows is simple but i donot know the process in linux. Any help would be highly appreciated. bye, nikhil...

  1. uninstall packages..

    hello,

    I want to know how can i remove any RPM package installed on my linux
    workstation. UN-Installation in windows is simple but i donot know the
    process in linux.

    Any help would be highly appreciated.

    bye,

    nikhil

  2. Re: uninstall packages..

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:55:51 -0800, nikhil bhargav typed:

    > hello,
    >
    > I want to know how can i remove any RPM package installed on my linux
    > workstation. UN-Installation in windows is simple but i donot know the
    > process in linux.
    >
    > Any help would be highly appreciated.

    Quoting from the typed command 'man rpm'

    ERASE OPTIONS
    The general form of an rpm erase command is

    rpm {-e|--erase} [--allmatches] [--nodeps] [--noscripts]
    [--notriggers] [--repackage] [--test] PACKAGE_NAME ...

    /End of Quote

    Example; Let's say you want to remove the installed RPM package
    plugger-4.0-23.i386.rpm, typing as root from the console or xterm session
    'rpm -e plugger' without the quoutes will remove the package.

    Please do not try and force a package (--nodeps switch) unless you know
    absolutely it will not cause any unwanted problems.

    Visit: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ for a better understanding.

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. Re: uninstall packages..

    Hello,

    "rpm -e package" is the short answer. However, if other packages
    depend on the package you want to uninstall then you either have to
    remove those packages first or do "rpm -e --nodeps package" but be
    careful about this because you could cause the depending packages to
    stop working.

    "man rpm" will give you a load of good information about installing,
    upgrading, removing, and finding out about the packages on your
    system. Give it a try if you want to know more.

    Regards,
    Jay Bromley

  4. Re: uninstall packages..

    nikhilbhargav_nsit@indiatimes.com (nikhil bhargav) wrote in message news:<4834acfd.0312102155.4c4e1133@posting.google.com>...
    > hello,
    >
    > I want to know how can i remove any RPM package installed on my linux
    > workstation. UN-Installation in windows is simple

    [snip]

    Yeah, coz W1nD0z3 uninstall routines always works and do actually
    uninstall, don't they Charlie? lol!

  5. Re: uninstall packages..

    >> I want to know how can i remove any RPM package installed on my linux
    >> workstation. UN-Installation in windows is simple

    > [snip]
    >
    > Yeah, coz W1nD0z3 uninstall routines always works and do actually
    > uninstall, don't they Charlie? lol!

    Superficially, they do. To mirror that behaviour in Linux, then, simply
    stop using the program, but not before adding it to your crontab.

    -maa2

  6. Re: uninstall packages..

    Hi Nikhil,

    Nice to know you are moving to Linux, actually It is _the best_
    operating system to have if you want to hack a os, or learn basic os
    concepts. So better not uninstall it.

    The install/uninstall system of Linux (using RPM) is as easy as that
    of your Windows Operating System. Only that on command line, you don't
    have fancy push buttons which do the uninstalling.
    Give the man page of 'rpm' a read ($ man rpm) and you shall see a lot
    of stuff that you can use (and also show off to your friends)
    Quickly: It is rpm -e

    The RPM install system is One step more Complex than Windows, This is
    because Linux uses package dependencies. This means that One
    package(1) may depend on another(2) for an executable or library.
    These are maintained well using the RPM database. Hence, it will not
    allow you to remove package(2) without removing package(1) and all
    other packages depending on it, which would otherwise render the
    system unstable. (You may override this, but it is not recommended)
    Hence, kindly verify that Dependencies all are resolved.

    I am sure you will be able to use the install/uninstall facilities of
    'rpm' with a lot of ease with a very little practice.

+ Reply to Thread