Newbee question - Questions

This is a discussion on Newbee question - Questions ; Hi After 10 years witn windows I'm trying Linux Mandrake. But it is indeed a different world. for instance how do i install this program : I can easily find the 'install-jazz' file, but how do i run it. Qoute ...

  1. Newbee question

    Hi

    After 10 years witn windows I'm trying Linux Mandrake. But it is indeed a
    different world.

    for instance how do i install this program :
    I can easily find the 'install-jazz' file, but how do i run it.

    Qoute from the installation file:
    "As root run the installation script install-jazz, that comes with
    this distribution. This will install jazz to /usr/local/jazz"

    MVH
    Ole Fisker

  2. Re: Newbee question

    "Ole Fisker" skrev i meddelandet
    news:3fd797c2$0$95071$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.d k...
    > Hi
    >
    > After 10 years witn windows I'm trying Linux Mandrake. But it is indeed a
    > different world.
    >
    > for instance how do i install this program :
    > I can easily find the 'install-jazz' file, but how do i run it.
    >
    > Qoute from the installation file:
    > "As root run the installation script install-jazz, that comes with
    > this distribution. This will install jazz to /usr/local/jazz"
    >
    > MVH
    > Ole Fisker

    From a console prompt try: ./the_name_of_the_script_here
    A . (dot) and a / (slash) before the script.

  3. Re: Newbee question

    Conny wrote:

    > "Ole Fisker" skrev i meddelandet
    > news:3fd797c2$0$95071$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.d k...
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> After 10 years witn windows I'm trying Linux Mandrake. But it is indeed a
    >> different world.
    >>
    >> for instance how do i install this program :
    >> I can easily find the 'install-jazz' file, but how do i run it.
    >>
    >> Qoute from the installation file:
    >> "As root run the installation script install-jazz, that comes with
    >> this distribution. This will install jazz to /usr/local/jazz"
    >>
    >> MVH
    >> Ole Fisker
    >>

    > From a console prompt try: ./the_name_of_the_script_here
    > A . (dot) and a / (slash) before the script.

    Thanks
    I guess it will work when I figure out how to get
    permission to run the script.

    "[olefisker@localhost jazz-bin-4.1.3]$ ./install-jazz
    bash: ./install-jazz: Permission denied"

    Ole Fisker

  4. Re: Newbee question

    "Ole Fisker" skrev i meddelandet
    news:3fd79e73$0$95109$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.d k...
    > Conny wrote:
    >

    > > "Ole Fisker" skrev i meddelandet
    > > news:3fd797c2$0$95071$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.d k...
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> After 10 years witn windows I'm trying Linux Mandrake. But it is indeed

    > >> different world.
    > >>
    > >> for instance how do i install this program :
    > >> I can easily find the 'install-jazz' file, but how do i run it.
    > >>
    > >> Qoute from the installation file:
    > >> "As root run the installation script install-jazz, that comes with
    > >> this distribution. This will install jazz to /usr/local/jazz"
    > >>
    > >> MVH
    > >> Ole Fisker
    > >>

    > > From a console prompt try: ./the_name_of_the_script_here
    > > A . (dot) and a / (slash) before the script.

    > Thanks
    > I guess it will work when I figure out how to get
    > permission to run the script.
    >
    > "[olefisker@localhost jazz-bin-4.1.3]$ ./install-jazz
    > bash: ./install-jazz: Permission denied"
    >
    > Ole Fisker

    In console type: su
    then run it again
    ( su = super-user, aka root permission with the root passwd in console )

  5. Re: Newbee question

    Conny wrote:

    > "Ole Fisker" skrev i meddelandet
    > news:3fd79e73$0$95109$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.d k...
    >> Conny wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Ole Fisker" skrev i meddelandet
    >> > news:3fd797c2$0$95071$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.d k...

    >> > From a console prompt try: ./the_name_of_the_script_here
    >> > A . (dot) and a / (slash) before the script.

    >> Thanks
    >> I guess it will work when I figure out how to get
    >> permission to run the script.
    >>
    >> "[olefisker@localhost jazz-bin-4.1.3]$ ./install-jazz
    >> bash: ./install-jazz: Permission denied"
    >>
    >> Ole Fisker

    > In console type: su
    > then run it again
    > ( su = super-user, aka root permission with the root passwd in console )

    you probably will also need to add execution permission with the command:

    chmod +x install_jazz

    -bob

+ Reply to Thread