Windows/Linux Script question - Questions

This is a discussion on Windows/Linux Script question - Questions ; I'd like to know if the following scenario is possible: Create a shell script on a Linux PC which accepts arguments which will be sent from a Windows PC on the same network. Any advice would be appreciated....

  1. Windows/Linux Script question

    I'd like to know if the following scenario is possible:

    Create a shell script on a Linux PC which accepts arguments which will
    be sent from a Windows PC on the same network. Any advice would be
    appreciated.

  2. Re: Windows/Linux Script question

    calambo_1@hotmail.com (tony) wrote in message news:<86ceba90.0312091233.2a39ab8e@posting.google.com>...
    > I'd like to know if the following scenario is possible:
    >
    > Create a shell script on a Linux PC which accepts arguments which will
    > be sent from a Windows PC on the same network. Any advice would be
    > appreciated.

    Well, it would be WAY easier to make a program... To be exact, 2
    programs. One for server and one for client. I don't think scripts can
    do such a thing... Forgive me if I am mistaken though

  3. Re: Windows/Linux Script question

    calambo_1@hotmail.com (tony) wrote in message news:<86ceba90.0312091233.2a39ab8e@posting.google.com>...
    > I'd like to know if the following scenario is possible:
    >
    > Create a shell script on a Linux PC which accepts arguments which will
    > be sent from a Windows PC on the same network. Any advice would be
    > appreciated.

    Sure. A really basic method would be like this:

    Your windows box could create the parameters and save them in a file.
    From there use your favoured file transfer method (like ftp or scp) to
    move the file to the desired location. "scheduled tasks" on windows
    takes care of the transfer, and cron on Linux takes care of the
    subsequent execution.

  4. Re: Windows/Linux Script question

    "tony" wrote in message
    news:86ceba90.0312091233.2a39ab8e@posting.google.c om...
    > I'd like to know if the following scenario is possible:
    >
    > Create a shell script on a Linux PC which accepts arguments which will
    > be sent from a Windows PC on the same network. Any advice would be
    > appreciated.

    Does it have to be a shell script. You could write it in perl which will run
    on both OS's.
    http://www.activestate.com/

    Good luck
    Steve