audio problem, compaq - Questions

This is a discussion on audio problem, compaq - Questions ; I have a Compaq ****sario 4230ES. The sound used to worked w/ win95. But w/ my linux its not recognizing the built in sound card. What can this newbie do to make the sound come out of this piece of ...

  1. audio problem, compaq

    I have a Compaq ****sario 4230ES. The sound used to worked w/ win95.
    But w/ my linux its not recognizing the built in sound card. What can this
    newbie
    do to make the sound come out of this piece of crap.

    os: SuSE Linux 8.2 (i586) - Kernel 2.4.20-4GB (2).

    TIA
    FM :{

  2. Re: audio problem, compaq

    "FxM" wrote in message news:...
    > I have a Compaq ****sario 4230ES. The sound used to worked w/ win95.
    > But w/ my linux its not recognizing the built in sound card. What can this
    > newbie
    > do to make the sound come out of this piece of crap.
    >
    > os: SuSE Linux 8.2 (i586) - Kernel 2.4.20-4GB (2).
    >
    > TIA
    > FM :{

    What kind of sound card do you got? Maunfacturer / model / chip? We
    know it's an older one. Google for yours to find some info from past
    users, issues, etc.

    At a command prompt type:
    $ whereis sndconfig

    It's probably not installed. Red Hat stopped installing it with RH8,
    since they considered the cards it configured were legacy. However,
    my RH cd's did have the rpm. Look for something like
    sndconfig-0.69-1.rpm or locate it at an rpm repository site.

    Cards are old, code is old, so imagine no changes have been made.
    Should work. You should run this outside of X if I remember.
    Ctrl+Alt+F4 to get out of X, run sndconfig as root, Ctrl+Alt+F7 to
    return to your desktop. You may need to log out and back in, or even
    reboot -- can't remember.

    Damn, this is the _4th_ time I've answered this today! Old cards
    never die, I guess.

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

  3. Re: audio problem, compaq

    > Cards are old, code is old, so imagine no changes have been made.
    > Should work. You should run this outside of X if I remember.
    > Ctrl+Alt+F4 to get out of X, run sndconfig as root, Ctrl+Alt+F7 to
    > return to your desktop. You may need to log out and back in, or even
    > reboot -- can't remember.

    Don't really need to not be in X to run sndconfig, I've always done it from
    a Konsole window, and with no ill effects.

  4. Re: audio problem, compaq

    "Mark Allen Adams, Jr." wrote in message news:...
    > > Cards are old, code is old, so imagine no changes have been made.
    > > Should work. You should run this outside of X if I remember.
    > > Ctrl+Alt+F4 to get out of X, run sndconfig as root, Ctrl+Alt+F7 to
    > > return to your desktop. You may need to log out and back in, or even
    > > reboot -- can't remember.

    > Don't really need to not be in X to run sndconfig, I've always done it from
    > a Konsole window, and with no ill effects.

    Thanks for reminding me. It's been so long since I've used it myself
    I was being cautious, and the desktop console is less scary for most
    folks. Now, if I can just remember this...

    TA,
    prg
    email above disabled

+ Reply to Thread