PPP Not activated - Questions

This is a discussion on PPP Not activated - Questions ; I have a new install of Redhat Enterprise 3.0 WS. When I activate my modem through PPP0, the modem connects to the internet but PPP0 is never activated. Then only way I can disconnect is to tell it to activate ...

  1. PPP Not activated

    I have a new install of Redhat Enterprise 3.0 WS. When I activate my modem
    through PPP0, the modem connects to the internet but PPP0 is never
    activated. Then only way I can disconnect is to tell it to activate again
    and then cancel. I am doing nothing other than a default installation. Can
    anyone please help? Thank you.

    David

  2. Re: PPP Not activated

    Hello,

    There isn't enough information in your post to know for sure what is
    happening. You may want to check the contents of /var/log/messages for
    anything that mentions pppd to get a better idea. Possibly
    /etc/ppp/options doesn't have the correct settings in it. A good
    source of information for getting a dial-up ppp connection going is
    the Linux Documentation Project's (LDP) PPP-HOWTO. There are a couple
    other HOWTOs in the LDP that may be helpful.

    As a data point, I've got Red Hat 9, and I believe I only had to
    configure my PAP (authentication) correctly to get things going.
    There's also an off chance that ppp support is not compiled into the
    kernel, but I would think that your distro would include this by
    default.

    If you post your /etc/ppp/options and the parts of your
    /var/log/messages showing an attempt to connect you could get more
    help.

    Regards,
    Jay Bromley

+ Reply to Thread