Login help.......please - Questions

This is a discussion on Login help.......please - Questions ; I managed to get Debian to configue last night however when I rebooted and tried to login - it just won't work. I have tried every possible combination of user name and password but I just cannot get it working. ...

  1. Login help.......please

    I managed to get Debian to configue last night however when I rebooted
    and tried to login - it just won't work. I have tried every possible
    combination of user name and password but I just cannot get it
    working.

    I have couple of questions which I am hoping someone can answer -

    firstly - I seem to remember that when I entered one of the user names
    (I cannot rememeber if it was the root or not) that the first half of
    the box had been completed with the words 'Debian User'. Is this
    correct? Or is the login name JUST the letters I typed?

    Next - would the fact I used the numeric keypad make any difference
    because number lock defaults to off when I boot up. So -would the
    numbers have been recorded or should I press the buttons without
    number lock off or miss them out completely?

    Failing all of the above - can I get to the reconfigure point again
    without having to go through the entire install process again??? I
    fear I know the answer but would like it confirming.

    Many thanks

  2. Re: Login help.......please

    > firstly - I seem to remember that when I entered one of the user names
    > (I cannot rememeber if it was the root or not) that the first half of
    > the box had been completed with the words 'Debian User'. Is this
    > correct? Or is the login name JUST the letters I typed?

    It's just what you typed... But probably root is the default...
    Since I don't have Debian (yet) I'm not sure. But root should have
    been typed in... I think you just type the password.

    > Next - would the fact I used the numeric keypad make any difference
    > because number lock defaults to off when I boot up. So -would the
    > numbers have been recorded or should I press the buttons without
    > number lock off or miss them out completely?

    Haha you remind me of... me! I had used a password with the numeric
    keypad and then it wouldn't work... Well to "fix" it, you just have to
    use the other numbers (on top of the letters) for the password. That
    did the trick for me at least.

    So no need to reinstall... Just type "root" (without the double
    quotes) as user name and the password with the NON numeric keypad and
    TADA!!! You're in

    I hope this helps,
    -cmad

+ Reply to Thread