RPM Install Help - Questions

This is a discussion on RPM Install Help - Questions ; Hi; I'm New at this, so bare with me please. I have a P4P800 Mb in the CD that came with it I have a (RPM Driver for my On Board GiGabit lan) so i'm trying to take it from ...

  1. RPM Install Help

    Hi;
    I'm New at this, so bare with me please.
    I have a P4P800 Mb in the CD that came with it I have a (RPM Driver for my
    On Board GiGabit lan) so i'm trying to take it from their and install it. In
    the ReadMe fil;e it say's to,(Make sure that the kernel source is installed
    in;/usr/src/linux or /usr/src/linux-2.4.)
    Can someone please tell me what this mean's in plan english.I can do
    everthing else,but I just don't know what the (kernel source mean's)

    Thank's
    glen

  2. Re: RPM Install Help

    "Glen Martin" skrev i meddelandet
    news:WPLzb.53959$Y4R1.24480@news04.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...
    > Hi;
    > I'm New at this, so bare with me please.
    > I have a P4P800 Mb in the CD that came with it I have a (RPM Driver for my
    > On Board GiGabit lan) so i'm trying to take it from their and install it.

    In
    > the ReadMe fil;e it say's to,(Make sure that the kernel source is

    installed
    > in;/usr/src/linux or /usr/src/linux-2.4.)
    > Can someone please tell me what this mean's in plan english.I can do
    > everthing else,but I just don't know what the (kernel source mean's)
    >
    > Thank's
    > glen

    It means that you have to get the source code for the 2.4.xx kernel ( the
    core of the Linux operating system )

    Since you not mention what distro you are running, but if it's a RPM you
    probably run Red Hat. If you have the cd's try to find the
    kernel-source.2.4.rpm or something like that and install it.

    The you probably have to compile the driver for the gigabit card.

  3. Re: RPM Install Help

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:22:30 GMT, "Glen Martin" wrote:

    > Make sure that the kernel source is installed
    > in;/usr/src/linux or /usr/src/linux-2.4.)
    > Can someone please tell me what this mean's in plan english.I can do
    > everthing else,but I just don't know what the (kernel source mean's)

    .... it means just that - ensure the kernel sources are installed
    to their well-known location: /usr/src/linux*
    ..
    If two men agree on everything, you may be sure that one of
    them is doing the thinking. - Lyndon Baines Johnson

  4. Re: RPM Install Help

    Glne,
    The easy thing to do is install the kernel-source RPM for
    your distro. This will put the kernel-source for your installed
    kernel in /usr/src/linux-XX.

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:22:30 +0000, Glen Martin wrote:

    > Hi;
    > I'm New at this, so bare with me please.
    > I have a P4P800 Mb in the CD that came with it I have a (RPM Driver for my
    > On Board GiGabit lan) so i'm trying to take it from their and install it. In
    > the ReadMe fil;e it say's to,(Make sure that the kernel source is installed
    > in;/usr/src/linux or /usr/src/linux-2.4.)
    > Can someone please tell me what this mean's in plan english.I can do
    > everthing else,but I just don't know what the (kernel source mean's)
    >
    > Thank's
    > glen

+ Reply to Thread