Apache Confusion - Questions

This is a discussion on Apache Confusion - Questions ; After reading my survival guide, apache.org documentation, etc. I am confused as to where to put my home page (index.html). One seems to indicate that I should have public_html under /home/ / yet again elsewhere it seems I should put ...

  1. Apache Confusion

    After reading my survival guide, apache.org documentation, etc. I am
    confused as to where to put my home page (index.html). One seems to
    indicate that I should have public_html under /home// yet
    again elsewhere it seems I should put it under
    DocumentRoot/htdocs/. So I put it in both places and used
    ./~ error.log said the connection was refused because of "no such file". It
    could not find /var/www/htdocs//manual/images/xxxx. Where
    xxxx is the following files: apache_pb.gif, mod_ssl_sb.gif,
    openssl_ics.gif, and feather.jpg.
    This is further confusing as these files are in
    /var/www/htdocs/manual/images.
    I understand that if I use /var/www/htdocs/ that I need a soft
    link to icons. Do I need a similar link to manual. NO. I tried it and
    that doesn't work.
    Can someone clearify for me where to put my home page in order to use:
    /./~????
    Thanks,
    Razzle

  2. Re: Apache Confusion

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 06:00:16 +0000, Razzel wrote:

    > After reading my survival guide, apache.org documentation, etc. I am
    > confused as to where to put my home page (index.html). One seems to
    > indicate that I should have public_html under /home// yet
    > again elsewhere it seems I should put it under
    > DocumentRoot/htdocs/. So I put it in both places and used
    > ./~ > error.log said the connection was refused because of "no such file". It
    > could not find /var/www/htdocs//manual/images/xxxx. Where
    > xxxx is the following files: apache_pb.gif, mod_ssl_sb.gif,
    > openssl_ics.gif, and feather.jpg.
    > This is further confusing as these files are in
    > /var/www/htdocs/manual/images.
    > I understand that if I use /var/www/htdocs/ that I need a soft
    > link to icons. Do I need a similar link to manual. NO. I tried it and
    > that doesn't work.
    > Can someone clearify for me where to put my home page in order to use:
    > /./~????
    > Thanks,
    > Razzle

    Typically, /home/you/public_html.
    Be sure that you actually have this feature activated in Apache, and also
    remember that the httpd process itself needs permissions to access the
    directory, and all parent directories (ie, give execute permissions on
    /home/you, and make sure public_html and everything under it is readable by
    everyone, and the directories executable).

    --
    Eric Enright /"\
    sauronAtiptsoftDcom \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign

  3. Re: Apache Confusion

    Yes thats correct,
    And remember that the Document root is just that. If you
    where to pull up your server by ip the page in the document root
    will be displayed. For user sites you will pull it up IP/~user/ unless
    you have setup virtual hosts. Then you will be able to map DNSname to
    user directory.

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 01:13:01 -0500, Eric Enright wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 06:00:16 +0000, Razzel wrote:
    >
    >> After reading my survival guide, apache.org documentation, etc. I am
    >> confused as to where to put my home page (index.html). One seems to
    >> indicate that I should have public_html under /home// yet
    >> again elsewhere it seems I should put it under
    >> DocumentRoot/htdocs/. So I put it in both places and used
    >> ./~ >> error.log said the connection was refused because of "no such file". It
    >> could not find /var/www/htdocs//manual/images/xxxx. Where
    >> xxxx is the following files: apache_pb.gif, mod_ssl_sb.gif,
    >> openssl_ics.gif, and feather.jpg.
    >> This is further confusing as these files are in
    >> /var/www/htdocs/manual/images.
    >> I understand that if I use /var/www/htdocs/ that I need a soft
    >> link to icons. Do I need a similar link to manual. NO. I tried it and
    >> that doesn't work.
    >> Can someone clearify for me where to put my home page in order to use:
    >> /./~????
    >> Thanks,
    >> Razzle

    > Typically, /home/you/public_html.
    > Be sure that you actually have this feature activated in Apache, and also
    > remember that the httpd process itself needs permissions to access the
    > directory, and all parent directories (ie, give execute permissions on
    > /home/you, and make sure public_html and everything under it is readable by
    > everyone, and the directories executable).

  4. Re: Apache Confusion

    Many thanks to: Eric and madninja. Think that will solve my quandary.
    Razzel

    Razzel wrote:

    > After reading my survival guide, apache.org documentation, etc. I am
    > confused as to where to put my home page (index.html). One seems to
    > indicate that I should have public_html under /home// yet
    > again elsewhere it seems I should put it under
    > DocumentRoot/htdocs/. So I put it in both places and used
    > ./~ > error.log said the connection was refused because of "no such file". It
    > could not find /var/www/htdocs//manual/images/xxxx. Where
    > xxxx is the following files: apache_pb.gif, mod_ssl_sb.gif,
    > openssl_ics.gif, and feather.jpg.
    > This is further confusing as these files are in
    > /var/www/htdocs/manual/images.
    > I understand that if I use /var/www/htdocs/ that I need a soft
    > link to icons. Do I need a similar link to manual. NO. I tried it and
    > that doesn't work.
    > Can someone clearify for me where to put my home page in order to use:
    > /./~????
    > Thanks,
    > Razzle

+ Reply to Thread