Which flavor? - Questions

This is a discussion on Which flavor? - Questions ; I want to learn more about Linux. I know the basics, but I want to get a little more serious with it, both with the gui side of it and the command line interface side of it. My question is, ...

  1. Which flavor?

    I want to learn more about Linux. I know the basics, but I want to get
    a little more serious with it, both with the gui side of it and the
    command line interface side of it. My question is, which is the best
    flavor to learn on? I know there is a lot to choose from. Any
    opinions?

    My next question is, what are the major differences of the flavors? Is
    it just what they are packaged with or is each OS completely
    different?

    Thanks for any help
    Bob

  2. Re: Which flavor?

    On 3 Dec 2003 17:49:57 -0800, skyecade@comcast.net (Bob) wrote:

    > My question is, which is the best
    > flavor to learn on?

    ..... <>

    .... groups.google.com
    ..
    Real Time, adj.: Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which
    only occurs there and then.

  3. Re: Which flavor?

    On 3 Dec 2003 17:49:57 -0800, Bob wrote:
    > I want to learn more about Linux. I know the basics, but I want to get
    > a little more serious with it, both with the gui side of it and the
    > command line interface side of it. My question is, which is the best
    > flavor to learn on? I know there is a lot to choose from. Any
    > opinions?

    The best one is the one that fits your needs.

    Here, read for yourself.
    http://www.distrowatch.com/ and
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...x+distribution

    and http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    and/or buy them all

    Mandrake has more utilities and a much
    better user friendly installer.

    Pick custom/expert install if you do not want to wipe
    your disk. Load cd and read the docs with your browser.

    Install docs are on the Mandrake cd and readable via Micro$not.

    For hardware compatibility
    http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3
    http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/index.html

+ Reply to Thread