The age-old question, with a slight twist - Questions

This is a discussion on The age-old question, with a slight twist - Questions ; What Linux distribution is best for a computer-illiterate newbie? The twist is: I'm not the newbie ^_^ She currently uses Windoze for word-processing, and that's about it. I can be on hand to install and setup Linux, so no worries ...

  1. The age-old question, with a slight twist

    What Linux distribution is best for a computer-illiterate newbie?

    The twist is: I'm not the newbie ^_^
    She currently uses Windoze for word-processing, and that's about it. I
    can be on hand to install and setup Linux, so no worries there. But
    which is easiest to use?

    Personally I prefer staying in the console, but I'm weird like that.

  2. Re: The age-old question, with a slight twist

    "Grey Knight" wrote in message
    news:73250d5a.0312011459.5c01f60e@posting.google.c om

    > What Linux distribution is best for a computer-illiterate newbie?
    >
    > The twist is: I'm not the newbie ^_^

    Then search the Usenet Linux groups for the endlessly repeating debates
    concerning the subject.

  3. Re: The age-old question, with a slight twist

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:59:51 -0800, Grey Knight wrote:

    > What Linux distribution is best for a computer-illiterate newbie?
    >
    > The twist is: I'm not the newbie ^_^
    > She currently uses Windoze for word-processing, and that's about it. I can
    > be on hand to install and setup Linux, so no worries there. But which is
    > easiest to use?
    >
    > Personally I prefer staying in the console, but I'm weird like that.

    none?

  4. Re: The age-old question, with a slight twist

    "ynotssor" <"ynotssor"> wrote in message news:<3fcc38a7_8@corp.newsgroups.com>...
    > "Grey Knight" wrote in message
    > news:73250d5a.0312011459.5c01f60e@posting.google.c om
    >
    > > What Linux distribution is best for a computer-illiterate newbie?
    > >
    > > The twist is: I'm not the newbie ^_^

    > Then search the Usenet Linux groups for the endlessly repeating debates
    > concerning the subject.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

    Ahh... yes, that would be a good idea, wouldn't it? Sorry, I've had no
    sleep to speak of for the past week, and I'm having to use an XP
    machine for Net access. I think the combination of the 2 might be
    rotting my brain... Sorry again for the stupid questions.

  5. Re: The age-old question, with a slight twist

    "Grey Knight" wrote in message
    news:73250d5a.0312030144.74c77909@posting.google.c om

    >>> What Linux distribution is best for a computer-illiterate newbie?
    >>>
    >>> The twist is: I'm not the newbie ^_^

    >> Then search the Usenet Linux groups for the endlessly repeating
    >> debates concerning the subject.
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

    > Ahh... yes, that would be a good idea, wouldn't it? Sorry, I've had no
    > sleep to speak of for the past week, and I'm having to use an XP
    > machine for Net access. I think the combination of the 2 might be
    > rotting my brain... Sorry again for the stupid questions.

    It's *not* stupid. It's been so endlessly debated that you'd simply be
    depriving yourself of a great deal of the knowledge and experience that has
    already been shared by others if you don't see what's been said already.

    Plus, you won't have to wait around for perhaps days for essentially the
    same responses to appear in this thread.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  6. Re: The age-old question, with a slight twist

    Grey Knight wrote:

    > What Linux distribution is best for a computer-illiterate newbie?
    >
    > The twist is: I'm not the newbie ^_^
    > She currently uses Windoze for word-processing, and that's about it. I
    > can be on hand to install and setup Linux, so no worries there. But
    > which is easiest to use?

    Suse is great and so is Mandrake. Each have their strengths and
    weaknesses. Mandrake is free for download but Suse provides a LOT of
    documentation with their package. Suse will give you more as it comes
    on 7 CDs, including OpenOffice.org and Koffice.

    > Personally I prefer staying in the console, but I'm weird like that.

  7. Re: The age-old question, with a slight twist

    Brandon McCombs wrote in message news:<3FD19276.5A9F5EE5@ma.rr.com>...
    > Suse is great and so is Mandrake. Each have their strengths and
    > weaknesses. Mandrake is free for download but Suse provides a LOT of
    > documentation with their package. Suse will give you more as it comes
    > on 7 CDs, including OpenOffice.org and Koffice.

    Yeah, SuSE /does/ look good for this purpose. Even better if I can
    convince her that the little chameleon is "cute" ^_^ Beats that random
    multi-coloured "window" any day of the week...

  8. Re: The age-old question, with a slight twist

    greyknight3@yahoo.com (Grey Knight) wrote in message news:<73250d5a.0312011459.5c01f60e@posting.google.com>...
    > What Linux distribution is best for a computer-illiterate newbie?
    >
    > The twist is: I'm not the newbie ^_^
    > She currently uses Windoze for word-processing, and that's about it. I
    > can be on hand to install and setup Linux, so no worries there. But
    > which is easiest to use?
    >
    > Personally I prefer staying in the console, but I'm weird like that.

    Hm. Slackware? You get to use your console, she gets her choice of GUI
    with all the trimmings. Happyness all round.

  9. Re: The age-old question, with a slight twist

    greyknight3@yahoo.com (Grey Knight) wrote in message news:<73250d5a.0312011459.5c01f60e@posting.google.com>...
    > What Linux distribution is best for a computer-illiterate newbie?
    >
    > The twist is: I'm not the newbie ^_^
    > She currently uses Windoze for word-processing, and that's about it. I
    > can be on hand to install and setup Linux, so no worries there. But
    > which is easiest to use?
    >
    > Personally I prefer staying in the console, but I'm weird like that.

    I'm a Mandrake man myself, and personally I like pretty tools.
    Mandrake's got plenty of em. The newest KDE desktop is beautiful, and
    for word processing it shouldn't take her long to get used to
    OpenOffice.

+ Reply to Thread