C console graphics routines - Questions

This is a discussion on C console graphics routines - Questions ; This seems like as good a place to ask as any. How do I go about performing simple graphics tasks (changing screen mode, plotting pixels) in the console? I do have experience with doing this under Mess-DOS, but I can't ...

  1. C console graphics routines

    This seems like as good a place to ask as any. How do I go about
    performing simple graphics tasks (changing screen mode, plotting
    pixels) in the console?
    I do have experience with doing this under Mess-DOS, but I can't
    figure it out in Linux.

  2. Re: C console graphics routines

    greyknight3@yahoo.com (Grey Knight) wrote in message news:<73250d5a.0312011447.756afcea@posting.google.com>...
    > This seems like as good a place to ask as any. How do I go about
    > performing simple graphics tasks (changing screen mode, plotting
    > pixels) in the console?
    > I do have experience with doing this under Mess-DOS, but I can't
    > figure it out in Linux.

    Stupid stupid question. I forgot: Google knows everything!
    Sorry, guess I'm not exactly making a good impression on my first
    visit to colq. Pity I can't revoke my posts...

  3. Re: C console graphics routines

    Grey Knight wrote:

    > This seems like as good a place to ask as any. How do I go about
    > performing simple graphics tasks (changing screen mode, plotting
    > pixels) in the console?
    > I do have experience with doing this under Mess-DOS, but I can't
    > figure it out in Linux.

    the ncurses library MIGHT be able to do this but I'm not positive. I
    just know it can do some primitive graphics for the console, not sure if
    it can do plotting of pixels or not though, maybe that's a given. You'll
    have to do some research on it.

  4. Re: C console graphics routines

    Brandon McCombs wrote:

    > Grey Knight wrote:
    >
    >>This seems like as good a place to ask as any. How do I go about
    >>performing simple graphics tasks (changing screen mode, plotting
    >>pixels) in the console?
    >>I do have experience with doing this under Mess-DOS, but I can't
    >>figure it out in Linux.

    > the ncurses library MIGHT be able to do this but I'm not positive. I
    > just know it can do some primitive graphics for the console, not sure if
    > it can do plotting of pixels or not though, maybe that's a given. You'll
    > have to do some research on it.

    The OP's probably really looking for the "svgalib" library.

    svgalib(7) Svgalib User Manual svgalib(7)

    NAME
    svgalib - a low level graphics library for linux

    TABLE OF CONTENTS
    0. Introduction
    1. Installation
    2. How to use svgalib
    3. Description of svgalib functions
    4. Overview of supported SVGA chipsets and modes
    5. Detailed comments on certain device drivers
    6. Goals
    7. References (location of latest version, apps etc.)
    8. Known bugs

    0. INTRODUCTION
    This is a low level graphics library for Linux, originally based on
    VGAlib 1.2 by Tommy Frandsen. VGAlib supported a num-
    ber of standard VGA graphics modes, as well as Tseng ET4000 high
    resolution 256-color modes. As of now, support for many
    more chipsets has been added. See section 4 Overview of supported SVGA
    chipsets and modes

    It supports transparent virtual console switching, that is, you
    can switch consoles to and from text and graphics mode
    consoles using alt-[function key]. Also, svgalib corrects most of
    VGAlib's textmode corruption behaviour by catching
    SIGSEGV, SIGFPE, SIGILL, and other fatal signals and ensuring that a
    program is running in the currently visible virtual
    console before setting a graphics mode.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

  5. Re: C console graphics routines

    Lew Pitcher wrote in message news:...
    > Brandon McCombs wrote:
    > >
    > > Grey Knight wrote:
    > >
    > >>This seems like as good a place to ask as any. How do I go about
    > >>performing simple graphics tasks (changing screen mode, plotting
    > >>pixels) in the console?
    > >>I do have experience with doing this under Mess-DOS, but I can't
    > >>figure it out in Linux.

    > The OP's probably really looking for the "svgalib" library.

    Yeah, I got it thanks. I do solemnly swear I will think (and Google!)
    before I post next time!

+ Reply to Thread