useradd problems! - Questions

This is a discussion on useradd problems! - Questions ; Hey all, I'm having trouble running /usr/sbin/useradd at the moment. I'm currently experimenting with this in root so that I know how everything's working. Basically, I try a command like: useradd -r myUserName -c "My comment" As you can see, ...

  1. useradd problems!

    Hey all,

    I'm having trouble running /usr/sbin/useradd at the moment. I'm currently
    experimenting with this in root so that I know how everything's working.

    Basically, I try a command like: useradd -r myUserName -c "My comment"

    As you can see, I'm not specifying a UID in the command and the default is
    supposed to be the smallest ID value greater than 99 and greater than every
    other user. If I attempt to create a new user using useradd and then do
    `grep myUserName /etc/passwd`, it shows the UID as 79!!

    What am I doing wrong and how can I make it behave properly?

    [Running Mandrake 9.1]

    Also, I hear people saying "set user permissions, you don't want to let
    every user run .php scripts in their home directory!" - what does this mean?
    Is there somewhere you can just select which users can do what system
    functions (like running php scripts)? Where can I find this magic
    configuration tool? The limit of my knowledge of setting permissions is
    using chmod!!

    Thanks in advance,
    Nicko.

  2. Re: useradd problems!

    "e n | c k m a" wrote in message

    > Basically, I try a command like: useradd -r myUserName -c "My comment"
    >
    > As you can see, I'm not specifying a UID in the command and the
    > default is supposed to be the smallest ID value greater than 99 and
    > greater than every other user. If I attempt to create a new user
    > using useradd and then do `grep myUserName /etc/passwd`, it shows the
    > UID as 79!!
    >
    > What am I doing wrong and how can I make it behave properly?

    Why are you using the -r option to create a system account, and then
    expecting a uid greater than an ordinary user's uid?

    I think if you separate the ordinary users from the /etc/passwd file, you'll
    that it did exactly what you told it to do.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  3. Re: useradd problems!

    > Why are you using the -r option to create a system account, and then
    > expecting a uid greater than an ordinary user's uid?

    Yeah, sorry I must've misread the man file. Thanks for your help
    nonetheless!

+ Reply to Thread