Nigthmare to incorporate Daylight savings time - Questions

This is a discussion on Nigthmare to incorporate Daylight savings time - Questions ; Hi, I am pretty much a new user to debian linux and i have a problem setting the correct time on my system. My hardware clock is set to GMT and when i installed debian i chose the time zone ...

  1. Nigthmare to incorporate Daylight savings time

    Hi,

    I am pretty much a new user to debian linux and i have a problem
    setting the correct time on my system. My hardware clock is set to GMT
    and when i installed debian i chose the time zone correctly. only
    thing is that we follow daylight savings time and now my clock (
    which shows up on the panel) is off by an hour. I trired to look up
    help and found that i had an option of using ntpdate which would query
    some server using the internet and set the time. The problem is that
    this PC is not allowed to go to the internet. and from what i
    understand there is no way that debian has the functionlity to
    incorporate daylight savings time ??

    Its seems like a night mare to be for the simple reason that windows
    has this capability built into it and debian being far better than
    windows lacks such a basic thing?? are there any apps are written to
    over come this ?

    desperately looking for an answer

    TIA

    Jigga

  2. Re: Nigthmare to incorporate Daylight savings time

    On 2003-11-12, jiggaman wrote:
    > I am pretty much a new user to debian linux and i have a problem
    > setting the correct time on my system. My hardware clock is set to GMT
    > and when i installed debian i chose the time zone correctly. only
    > thing is that we follow daylight savings time and now my clock (
    > which shows up on the panel) is off by an hour.

    Please run the following bunch of commands at a command prompt, then post
    the output here ...

    $ ls -l /etc/localtime
    $ cat /etc/timezone
    $ date
    $ date --utc
    $ grep UTC /etc/default/rcS
    $ /sbin/hwclock --show --utc # must be run as root

    .... and indicate which are right and wrong.

    (When did you boot the system last?)

    --
    Paul Kimoto
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text. Any images,

+ Reply to Thread