Slackware 9.1 rather slow? - Questions

This is a discussion on Slackware 9.1 rather slow? - Questions ; My first linux distro was RH 7.3 when it first came out. I've learned a lot since then, and decided that it was time to try something different; since I'd already installed and use slackware 8.1 on a different machine, ...

  1. Slackware 9.1 rather slow?

    My first linux distro was RH 7.3 when it first came out. I've learned a
    lot since then, and decided that it was time to try something
    different; since I'd already installed and use slackware 8.1 on a
    different machine, downloaded slackware 9.1.

    RH 7.3 ran perfectly on this box (p3 with 184mb RAM), but many things are
    slower with slackware 9.1, especially the scrolling of windows in X. For
    instance, if I am looking at a long web page--using the arrow keys to go
    up and down--and press the down arrow for 4 seconds, the web page will
    continue scrolling after I depress. After a few seconds it stops
    scrolling, but it's damn annoying when you intend to scroll to the center
    of a page, and wind up at the end. You don't want to repeatedly tap the
    down and up arrows in order to scroll. You need to press.

    TIA,
    Naota

    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove capital letters: SPAM)

  2. Re: Slackware 9.1 rather slow?

    Slack 9.1 is a heck of a lot newer than RH 7.3. You could try running a
    lightweight window manager or just get more RAM. Make sure you have a decent
    swap partition as well.

    You might try the i686 optimized Arch or possibly a source-based distro. It
    might or might not be a little faster. Arch is pretty quick in my experience.

    Michael

  3. Re: Slackware 9.1 rather slow?

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:24:12 +0000, Xmp nix wrote:

    > Slack 9.1 is a heck of a lot newer than RH 7.3. You could try running a
    > lightweight window manager or just get more RAM. Make sure you have a decent
    > swap partition as well.
    >
    > You might try the i686 optimized Arch or possibly a source-based distro. It
    > might or might not be a little faster. Arch is pretty quick in my experience.
    >
    > Michael

    Thanks for responding. I'll look into what you wrote about.
    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  4. Re: Slackware 9.1 rather slow?

    FWIW: I am running MSI KT4V-L board with 2200 AMD and 256 MB w/ 512 MB swap
    and do not observe the negative features you noted.
    RAZZLE

    Naota wrote:

    > My first linux distro was RH 7.3 when it first came out. I've learned a
    > lot since then, and decided that it was time to try something
    > different; since I'd already installed and use slackware 8.1 on a
    > different machine, downloaded slackware 9.1.
    >
    > RH 7.3 ran perfectly on this box (p3 with 184mb RAM), but many things are
    > slower with slackware 9.1, especially the scrolling of windows in X. For
    > instance, if I am looking at a long web page--using the arrow keys to go
    > up and down--and press the down arrow for 4 seconds, the web page will
    > continue scrolling after I depress. After a few seconds it stops
    > scrolling, but it's damn annoying when you intend to scroll to the center
    > of a page, and wind up at the end. You don't want to repeatedly tap the
    > down and up arrows in order to scroll. You need to press.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Naota
    >
    > --
    > naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove capital letters: SPAM)