Making a Package That Can Install Anywhere - Questions

This is a discussion on Making a Package That Can Install Anywhere - Questions ; I am trying to make a package with RPM that can install anywhere. I have read the maximum rpm online manual chapter 16 that gives instructions on how to Make a Package That Can Build Anywhere but the problem that ...

  1. Making a Package That Can Install Anywhere

    I am trying to make a package with RPM that can install anywhere. I
    have read the maximum rpm online manual chapter 16 that gives
    instructions on how to Make a Package That Can Build Anywhere but the
    problem that I am running into with this is that it wants to pick up
    the binaries and install them to the same buildroot. I cannot put the
    binaries on my machine where I want them installed due to the product
    being in use currently. I need to create a package from
    /export/home/ca/deploy/BUILD and install to /var/lib/pbiace. I tried
    setting the buildroot to pick up from the
    %_topdir/BUILD/var/lib/pbiace directory but unfortunately when I try
    to install it trys to put the binaries right back where I picked up
    from. Is there any way that I can tell the install to install to
    where I want it to?

    Thanks,
    Rose

  2. Re: Making a Package That Can Install Anywhere

    spamaccout69@yahoo.com (Rose) wrote:

    > I am trying to make a package with RPM that can install anywhere.
    > [...] unfortunately when I try to install it trys to put the
    > binaries right back where I picked up from. Is there any way
    > that I can tell the install to install to where I want it to?

    Not sure exactly what's going on, but: when you execute rpm to
    install the package, you can give a command line option "--relocate"
    to tell where to put the package, if the package is relocatable.

    There is also a "--badreloc" option to force relocation on an
    otherwise unrelocatable package.

    For what it's worth,
    Robert Dodier
    --
    ``I use Google as the universal spell-checker.'' -- William Gibson

+ Reply to Thread