Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie... - Questions

This is a discussion on Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie... - Questions ; I am trying to create Tom's root boot with tomsrtbt-2.0.103.dos.zip. As stated in the instructions, I Unzipped this file into a directory, did a 'cd' into that director and typed in 'install' on the MS-DOS prompt. According to the instructions, ...

  1. Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    I am trying to create Tom's root boot with tomsrtbt-2.0.103.dos.zip.
    As stated in the instructions, I Unzipped this file into a directory,
    did a 'cd' into that director and typed in 'install' on the MS-DOS
    prompt. According to the instructions, 'install' should guide me
    through the the root boot floppy creation. But after typing 'install',
    my screen just writes out some messages on the screen and returns back
    to the command prompt. What am I doing wrong? The messages it writes
    to the screen are:

    > CPU is in V86-mode (may be WINDOWS, EMM, QEMM, 386MAX, ...)
    > You need pure 386/486 real mode or VCPI server to boot Linux
    >..
    >LOADLIN started from DOS-prompt
    >WARNING : Not enough free memory

    Could these messages be the reason why 'install' is not working
    properly? What is the way out? I never thought creating the root boot
    could be such difficult.

    Thanks.
    Ashish.

  2. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    Ashish wrote:

    >>CPU*is*in*V86-mode*(may*be*WINDOWS,*EMM,*QEMM,*386MAX,*...)
    >>You*need*pure*386/486*real*mode*or*VCPI*server*to*boot*Linux
    >>..
    >>LOADLIN started from DOS-prompt
    >>WARNING : Not enough free memory

    > Could these messages be the reason why 'install' is not working
    > properly? What is the way out? I never thought creating the root boot
    > could be such difficult

    .... it's saying you have to be in pure DOS mode, NOT a
    "command prompt window (or screen)" in win98/win95/win2k
    ..
    Parsley is gharsley. - Ogden Nash

  3. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    Hi!! Actually I am using Windows XP. I even tried 'pure DOS' mode but
    it gave the same message.

    The way I started XP in pure DOS mode was to press F8 during the boot
    up process and then selecting 'Safe mode with Command Prompt'. This
    seems to be the closest I could get to to pure DOS.

    Howeve, it continued to give the same message. Any help would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks.
    Ashish.

    mjt wrote in message news:...
    > Ashish wrote:
    >
    > >>CPU*is*in*V86-mode*(may*be*WINDOWS,*EMM,*QEMM,*386MAX,*...)
    > >>You*need*pure*386/486*real*mode*or*VCPI*server*to*boot*Linux
    > >>..
    > >>LOADLIN started from DOS-prompt
    > >>WARNING : Not enough free memory

    > > Could these messages be the reason why 'install' is not working
    > > properly? What is the way out? I never thought creating the root boot
    > > could be such difficult

    > ... it's saying you have to be in pure DOS mode, NOT a
    > "command prompt window (or screen)" in win98/win95/win2k
    > .

  4. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    Ashish wrote:
    > mjt wrote in message news:...

    >> > Could these messages be the reason why 'install' is not working
    >> > properly? What is the way out? I never thought creating the root boot
    >> > could be such difficult

    >> ... it's saying you have to be in pure DOS mode, NOT a
    >> "command prompt window (or screen)" in win98/win95/win2k

    TAKE NOTE: i have reformatted this to conform to accepted
    USENET practices of bottom-posting.

    if you top post again, i wont repond

    > Hi!! Actually I am using Windows XP. I even tried 'pure DOS' mode but
    > it gave the same message.
    >
    > The way I started XP in pure DOS mode was to press F8 during the boot
    > up process and then selecting 'Safe mode with Command Prompt'. This
    > seems to be the closest I could get to to pure DOS.

    .... sorry, that is NOT what we're talking about - that is
    still in protected mode, which isnt the same as real mode.
    you must boot a REAL DOS, such as DOS 6.22
    ..
    If you live to the age of a hundred you have it made because very few
    people die past the age of a hundred.
    -- George Burns

  5. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    Apologies Michael for not conforming to USENET practices. Am better
    informed now.

    So, I did boot in 'Real DOS' mode but now have a new problem. When I
    run INSTALL (to create Tom's root boot), it gives the following
    message:

    "
    Uncompressing Linux . . .

    crc error

    -- System Halted
    "

    To recapitulate, I downloaded tomsrtbt-2.0.103.dos.zip, pkunzipped it,
    booted in real DOS and then ran INSTALL command in the unzipped
    folder.

    What am I missing?

    Thanks.
    Ashish.

  6. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    On 9 Nov 2003 12:05:42 -0800, Ashish wrote:
    > Apologies Michael for not conforming to USENET practices. Am better
    > informed now.
    >
    > So, I did boot in 'Real DOS' mode but now have a new problem. When I
    > run INSTALL (to create Tom's root boot), it gives the following
    > message:
    >
    > "
    > Uncompressing Linux . . .
    >
    > crc error

    The diskette has to be completely free of bad blocks and I assume the
    heads are not dirty on the diskette drive.

  7. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    On 9 Nov 2003 12:05:42 -0800, ashish.mohan@altavista.com (Ashish) wrote:

    > run INSTALL (to create Tom's root boot), it gives the following
    > message:
    > Uncompressing Linux . . .
    >
    > crc error

    .... there's a prob with the floppy disk, the reader, or both.
    how about you re-write it to another floppy disk, one that is
    new and freshly formatted. i've found that if i use a floppy
    disk (sheesh, it's been years now) that is quite 'old', you'll
    have problems
    ..
    A day for firm decisions!!!!! Or is it?

  8. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:14:26 -0800, Ashish wrote:

    > I am trying to create Tom's root boot with tomsrtbt-2.0.103.dos.zip.
    > As stated in the instructions, I Unzipped this file into a directory,
    > did a 'cd' into that director and typed in 'install' on the MS-DOS
    > prompt. According to the instructions, 'install' should guide me
    > through the the root boot floppy creation. But after typing 'install',
    > my screen just writes out some messages on the screen and returns back
    > to the command prompt. What am I doing wrong? The messages it writes
    > to the screen are:
    >
    >> CPU is in V86-mode (may be WINDOWS, EMM, QEMM, 386MAX, ...)
    >> You need pure 386/486 real mode or VCPI server to boot Linux
    >>..
    >>LOADLIN started from DOS-prompt
    >>WARNING : Not enough free memory

    > Could these messages be the reason why 'install' is not working
    > properly? What is the way out? I never thought creating the root boot
    > could be such difficult.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Ashish.

    Reboot into DOS then try it again.

    Good Luck
    --
    GNU/Linux is God
    get used to it

  9. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    Thanks for helpful advices. But nothing seems to be working. I used a
    new formatted a floppy disk but still the same 'CRC error'.

    By the way, I am using Windows XP. When I booted in 'real DOS' mode,
    it doesn't recognize the 'existing hard drive' partitions. For
    example, when I type in C: drive, it says 'invalid drive
    specification'. I researched further to find out that this is because
    DOS version doesn't recognize any NTFS partitions (my hard drive is
    NTFS).

    So, I downloaded a utility NTFSDOS and ran it while i was in real DOS
    mode. That allowed me to access the C: drive on my hard disk. From the
    C: drive, I ran the 'INSTALL' needed to created Tom's root boot disk.
    So, this is the whole story. Could my running NTFSDOS be the reason of
    'CRC error'?

    Thanks.
    Ashish.

  10. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    On 10 Nov 2003 01:01:25 -0800, ashish.mohan@altavista.com (Ashish) wrote:

    > So, this is the whole story. Could my running NTFSDOS be the reason of
    > 'CRC error'?

    .... no, i doubt it. i read stuff off of NTFS drives while
    using Linux. there is another possibility - the download
    from Tom's is invalid - did you run a CRC check against
    the downloaded file and compare with the md5sum value?
    ..
    Sure, Reagan has promised to take senility tests.
    But what if he forgets?

  11. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    mjt wrote in message news:...
    > On 10 Nov 2003 01:01:25 -0800, ashish.mohan@altavista.com (Ashish) wrote:
    >
    > > So, this is the whole story. Could my running NTFSDOS be the reason of
    > > 'CRC error'?

    > ... no, i doubt it. i read stuff off of NTFS drives while
    > using Linux. there is another possibility - the download
    > from Tom's is invalid - did you run a CRC check against
    > the downloaded file and compare with the md5sum value?
    > .

    OK I got it. You guys were absolutely right. Thank You so much for all
    the help you rendered.

    Indeed, the (three) floppies that I tried were all 'bad' and hence the
    CRC error. Surprisingly, in Windows, I could format all three of them
    and hence never doubted that they were not good.

    I used a 'fresh' floppy and it worked like a charm.

    Thanks again.
    Ashish.

  12. Re: Tom's root boot creation problems to a newbie...

    On 10 Nov 2003 23:51:34 -0800, ashish.mohan@altavista.com (Ashish) wrote:

    > Indeed, the (three) floppies that I tried were all 'bad' and hence the
    > CRC error. Surprisingly, in Windows, I could format all three of them
    > and hence never doubted that they were not good.

    .... i have floppies in a shoebox from many many years ago,
    i guess mostly for nastalgic reasons, some of which are
    basically empty. the last time i tried writing to one of
    these, it complained of the same issue. i suspect, after
    time, they go south

    BTW, just because m$ can format it, doesnt make the floppy
    necessarily usable (as you found out)
    ..