modem installation - Questions

This is a discussion on modem installation - Questions ; hi i am a new guy on computers and very new on linux (very important) i have an internal hardware modem of intel company. There is a driver for linux also in the installation cd. i have no clue how ...

  1. modem installation

    hi
    i am a new guy on computers and very new on linux (very important)
    i have an internal hardware modem of intel company. There is a driver
    for linux also in the installation cd.
    i have no clue how to install the modem to my linux (redhat 9) system.
    someone plz guide me in detail how to do this job but plz guide me in
    a way as u would do to a novice

    Another problem is how do we reach to something like "add new
    hardware" type utility in linux. i know something like "kudzu" but
    dont know how to access it
    and use it

    what ever u tell me please be patient and tell it to me in detail and
    step by step

    thanx in advance

    cupid

  2. Re: modem installation

    cupidisdangerous@hotmail.com (cupid) wrote in message news:...
    > hi
    > i am a new guy on computers and very new on linux (very important)
    > i have an internal hardware modem of intel company. There is a driver
    > for linux also in the installation cd.
    > i have no clue how to install the modem to my linux (redhat 9) system.
    > someone plz guide me in detail how to do this job but plz guide me in
    > a way as u would do to a novice
    >
    > Another problem is how do we reach to something like "add new
    > hardware" type utility in linux. i know something like "kudzu" but
    > dont know how to access it
    > and use it
    >
    > what ever u tell me please be patient and tell it to me in detail and
    > step by step
    >
    > thanx in advance
    >
    > cupid

    so should we understand that whenever there is a driver required to
    use a modem it is a software modem and if not then what is the easiest
    way of finding out that modem is soft of hardware other than the
    vendor telling that it is a hardware modem.by the way i am using a
    modem with specifications of
    intel v.92 modem (HaM)
    Ambient Technologies Inc.
    MD 5628d-l-c
    can u tell me it is hardware or software and whatever it is help me in
    installing it coz i have a driver for it with me and the read me text
    says something in greek which i am unable to understand may be u could
    help me in understanding this

    INSTALLATION

    Prerequisites:
    1. root access
    2. bash shell to run install scripts
    3. a 536EP modem
    4. kernel source headers for the kernel you are running

    6 steps to install
    1. login as ROOT
    2. extract the archive into a directory with "tar -xvf
    .tgz"
    3. cd into the directory it created.
    4. Type: make clean
    5. Type: make 536ep
    6. Type: make install-536ep

    The installation script has been designed for the following
    distributions
    release versions

    mandrake-release
    SuSE-release
    redhat-release
    debian_version (including Corel)
    slackware-version
    conectiva-version
    bluepoint-release
    Unknown distributions install modules and utilities but
    will not install boot scripts!.

    Please examine the 536ep-inst script if you have a different
    distribution.

    The driver is split in two. A serial driver and core driver.
    The core driver must be loaded first since the serial driver depends
    on it.
    The serial driver registers itself as character device
    major number 240, minor number 1.
    The serial driver takes one argument right now, which is a number to
    override the default major number if you need to.

    ATTENTION: if the driver compiles but the script just wont work for
    you.
    Here are the bare minimum steps to get your modem to work.

    0. log in as root.
    1. insmod -f 536epcore.o
    2. insmod -f 536ep.o
    2a. you can start "hamregistry" at this point if you wish.
    3. rm /dev/536ep
    4. mknod /dev/536ep c 240 1 (note "240" is the default, if it
    does not
    work see what /proc/devices says 536ep's major number is)
    5. ln -s /dev/536ep /dev/modem
    6. start a comm application like minicom and use the modem.
    7. see section 3 (International Users) for info on setting the
    correct
    country settings.

    4. FILE DESCRIPTIONS

    536ep-inst installation script to install 536ep modules and supporting
    files

    files copied to /lib/modules/(kernel-version)/misc
    536epcore.o driver core code module
    536ep.o pseudo serial driver for 536ep, depends on 536epcore.o

    files copied to /etc/rc.d/... (path differes per distribution)
    536ep-boot boot scrip to start and stop 536ep modules

    files copied to /usr/sbin
    hamregistry hamregistry is the "registry" like tool that the modem
    uses to
    get and store persistant data such as county info and profile
    strings.

    files copied to /etc
    linhamreg.bin file that stores the initial persistant data for
    modem.

    HELP ME PLEASE I AM GETTING DESPERATE TO USE NET WHILE BEING ON LINUX

  3. Re: modem installation

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:17:35 -0800, cupid wrote:

    (cupid) wrote in message news:
    < snip >

    You should use a real modem. An external needs no drivers at all.
    Software modems are crap...all of them.

    Always use Linux compatible hardware.

    --
    GNU/Linux is God