Help!!! My system has slowed down a lot!! Newbie student.. - Questions

This is a discussion on Help!!! My system has slowed down a lot!! Newbie student.. - Questions ; Hi, I have a dual boot system with two hard drvies, one for each os. I have a 40 GB HDD for Redhat Linux 7.2 and 256MB RAM. Everything was perfectly fine till a couple of days ago. I have ...

  1. Help!!! My system has slowed down a lot!! Newbie student..

    Hi,

    I have a dual boot system with two hard drvies, one for each os. I
    have a 40 GB HDD for Redhat Linux 7.2 and 256MB RAM. Everything was
    perfectly fine till a couple of days ago.

    I have been running a C program which consumes a lot of memory, in
    that program there are mallocs for 6 MB and other mallocs (lots of
    them) and frees.

    Previously , this program was running on a data collection of 56MB in
    23 mins. But now, I had it running the whole night and it wasn't even
    half finished.

    In the system monitor the state of the process was changed to 'D'?
    What does this mean?

    Could this have slowed down my system. How can I set it right? Please
    help me, I am a student and new to Linux. I need this running fast to
    get some results.

    Thanks in advance,
    Sun.

  2. Re: Help!!! My system has slowed down a lot!! Newbie student..

    Sunanda wrote:

    > Hi,

    [snip]
    > Previously , this program was running on a data collection of 56MB in
    > 23 mins. But now, I had it running the whole night and it wasn't even
    > half finished.
    >
    > In the system monitor the state of the process was changed to 'D'?
    > What does this mean?

    In brief: the 'D' status means that you have a hardware problem that is
    preventing the OS from completing an I/O. The user process will wait until
    the I/O completes, which means it will wait until you repair the hardware
    problem or you reboot your system. FWIW, you /won't/ be able to "kill" the
    process; when it's stuck in the 'D' state, no signals get delivered to it,
    so it never receives the kill signal, and never dies.

    "ps l" and take a look at the WCHAN value to see what action the process is
    stuck on. You might be able to determine what hardware is failing, and get
    it to start up again.