What does MD5sum and SRPMS stand for? - Questions

This is a discussion on What does MD5sum and SRPMS stand for? - Questions ; What does MD5sum and SRPMS stand for? I'm new to Linux. I'm using Knode to post this right now. So far, so good! WooHoo! .: CrackerJack :. cracker-jack@earthlink.net...

  1. What does MD5sum and SRPMS stand for?

    What does MD5sum and SRPMS stand for? I'm new to Linux. I'm using Knode to
    post this right now. So far, so good! WooHoo!

    .: CrackerJack :.
    cracker-jack@earthlink.net

  2. Re: What does MD5sum and SRPMS stand for?

    CrackerJack wrote:

    > What does MD5sum and

    .... from the man-page: md5sum - compute and check MD5 message digest

    basically, it computes the checksum for a given stream

    > SRPMS stand for?

    ... source RPM
    ..
    Oh, well, I guess this is just going to be one of those lifetimes.

  3. Re: What does MD5sum and SRPMS stand for?

    CrackerJack wrote:

    > What does MD5sum and SRPMS stand for? I'm new to Linux. I'm using Knode to
    > post this right now. So far, so good! WooHoo!

    MD is a Message Digest algorithm which means you take a stream of data
    for input and based on the algorithm a stream of text is the output. If
    you change the input data the output data changes. In this way a
    configuration file can have an md5sum generated and if the config file
    changes then a subsequent md5sum will be different and you know someone
    has altered the config file.

    SRPM is a Source RPM. RPM is Redhat Package Manager which is how RedHat
    manages its packages (and other distributions who have adopted the
    format) by using a database and determining whether or not a package has
    been installed or not. RPMs can keep track of dependencies as well.

    hth

  4. Re: What does MD5sum and SRPMS stand for?

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 05:52:32 +0000, mjt wrote:

    > CrackerJack wrote:
    >
    >> What does MD5sum and

    > ... from the man-page: md5sum - compute and check MD5 message digest
    >
    > basically, it computes the checksum for a given stream
    >
    >> SRPMS stand for?

    > .. source RPM
    > .

    TIP:

    You run the program md5sum against an .iso image you download the web and
    compare the result against the published md5sum on that site to see if
    your downloaded image(.iso file) is corrupted or not.

    --
    GNU/Linux is God
    get used to it

+ Reply to Thread