Kmail keeps asking for password - Questions

This is a discussion on Kmail keeps asking for password - Questions ; I just added a new pop3 account to kmail. With my old account I only enter the password once, and then it can get new mail periodically without asking again. With my new account it keeps asking me for the ...

  1. Kmail keeps asking for password

    I just added a new pop3 account to kmail. With my old account I only enter
    the password once, and then it can get new mail periodically without asking
    again. With my new account it keeps asking me for the password, not
    everytime it periodically gets mail, but often. It is getting annoying.
    What I would like to know is if this is a problem on my end or with my new
    pop3 provider. For awhile I also had intermittent problems sending mail.

  2. Re: Kmail keeps asking for password

    Mark wrote:

    > I just added a new pop3 account to kmail. With my old account I only
    > enter the password once, and then it can get new mail periodically without
    > asking
    > again. With my new account it keeps asking me for the password, not
    > everytime it periodically gets mail, but often. It is getting annoying.
    > What I would like to know is if this is a problem on my end or with my new
    > pop3 provider. For awhile I also had intermittent problems sending mail.

    .... under the 'account', select 'store pop passwords'
    ..
    Reality is just a convenient measure of complexity. - Alvy Ray Smith

  3. Re: Kmail keeps asking for password

    mjt wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    >
    >> I just added a new pop3 account to kmail. With my old account I only
    >> enter the password once, and then it can get new mail periodically
    >> without asking
    >> again. With my new account it keeps asking me for the password, not
    >> everytime it periodically gets mail, but often. It is getting annoying.
    >> What I would like to know is if this is a problem on my end or with my
    >> new
    >> pop3 provider. For awhile I also had intermittent problems sending mail.

    > ... under the 'account', select 'store pop passwords'
    > .

    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I didn't have this option checked with the old account which meant that I
    had to enter the password every time I started kmail, but it was remembered
    for the session. This new account is acting differently. It checks for
    new mail every 2 minutes, but only asks for the password every 15 minutes
    or so. About one in every five emails I send to the new account gives a
    network error.

  4. Re: Kmail keeps asking for password

    Mark wrote:

    >> ... under the 'account', select 'store pop passwords'

    > Thanks for the suggestion.
    > I didn't have this option checked with the old account which meant that I
    > had to enter the password every time I started kmail, but it was
    > remembered for the session.**This*new*account*is*acting*differently.* *It
    > checks*for new mail every 2 minutes, but only asks for the password every
    > 15 minutes or so.**About*one*in*every*five*emails*I*send*to*the* new
    > account*gives*a network error

    .... you know, now that you mention it, i've had similar
    issues with kmail. i look at the login and password to
    ensure nothing has happened, but on occassion, it'll
    ask for a password - not as frequently as is happening
    with you. have you checked for updates (you didnt mention
    the distro you're using)?
    ..
    I doubt, therefore I might be.

  5. Re: Kmail keeps asking for password

    mjt wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    >
    >>> ... under the 'account', select 'store pop passwords'

    >> Thanks for the suggestion.
    >> I didn't have this option checked with the old account which meant that I
    >> had to enter the password every time I started kmail, but it was
    >> remembered for the session. This new account is acting differently. It
    >> checks for new mail every 2 minutes, but only asks for the password every
    >> 15 minutes or so. About one in every five emails I send to the new
    >> account gives a network error

    > ... you know, now that you mention it, i've had similar
    > issues with kmail. i look at the login and password to
    > ensure nothing has happened, but on occassion, it'll
    > ask for a password - not as frequently as is happening
    > with you. have you checked for updates (you didnt mention
    > the distro you're using)?
    > .

    I'm using the SUSE distro with kmail 1.5.1 using KDE 3.1.1
    I haven't checked for new releases.
    What bothers me about this is that with my previous account (also a third
    party to my ISP) I wasn't having this problem. It really seems network
    related but I don't want to complain to the pop account provider until I
    know. There is one thing I found that seems to definitely be a bug in
    kmail. I had to set up a new identity for the new account so I could get
    the new email address in the 'from' field. I changed it to the default.
    When I went back to the network setup for sending, it kept the default on
    my old account. There was no way to get it sync up until I deleted the old
    sending account info. That didn't seem related to my problem.

+ Reply to Thread