Open source mail server on windows, oh my... - Questions

This is a discussion on Open source mail server on windows, oh my... - Questions ; I am looking for a good reliable email server for windows xp+ , but seem to get nothing. I want to have IMAP and POP3 access, smtp goes without saying. This is my last resort since I looked everywhere and ...

  1. Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    I am looking for a good reliable email server for windows xp+ , but
    seem to get nothing. I want to have IMAP and POP3 access, smtp goes
    without saying. This is my last resort since I looked everywhere and
    couldn't find it, plus it does not help that I absolutely hate
    everything about MS when it comes to serving.

    Help?

    Eugene

  2. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    how about mercury?

    http://www.pmail.com/whatsnew/new_m32.htm

    windows based, free, imap, pop3 smtp

    Steve

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:54:27 +0000, Eugene Burtsev wrote:

    > I am looking for a good reliable email server for windows xp+ , but
    > seem to get nothing. I want to have IMAP and POP3 access, smtp goes
    > without saying. This is my last resort since I looked everywhere and
    > couldn't find it, plus it does not help that I absolutely hate
    > everything about MS when it comes to serving.
    >
    > Help?
    >
    > Eugene

  3. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    [ idiotic top-quoting fixed ]

    Steve Roy writes:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:54:27 +0000, Eugene Burtsev wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for a good reliable email server for windows xp+ , but
    >> seem to get nothing. I want to have IMAP and POP3 access, smtp goes
    >> without saying. This is my last resort since I looked everywhere and
    >> couldn't find it, plus it does not help that I absolutely hate
    >> everything about MS when it comes to serving.
    >>
    >> Help?

    > how about mercury?
    >
    > http://www.pmail.com/whatsnew/new_m32.htm
    >
    > windows based, free, imap, pop3 smtp

    It doesn't appear to be open-source to me (see the subject of this thread).

  4. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    Eugene Burtsev writes:

    > I am looking for a good reliable email server for windows xp+ , but
    > seem to get nothing. I want to have IMAP and POP3 access, smtp goes
    > without saying. This is my last resort since I looked everywhere and
    > couldn't find it, plus it does not help that I absolutely hate
    > everything about MS when it comes to serving.

    Hmmm. Can you explain the first sentence in your paragraph, then, in light
    of the last sentence?

  5. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    "Eugene Burtsev" wrote in message
    news:c8aa5f95.0310280854.745cad19@posting.google.c om...
    > I am looking for a good reliable email server for windows xp+ , but
    > seem to get nothing. I want to have IMAP and POP3 access, smtp goes
    > without saying. This is my last resort since I looked everywhere and
    > couldn't find it, plus it does not help that I absolutely hate
    > everything about MS when it comes to serving.
    >
    > Help?
    >
    > Eugene

    Why not get cygwin and use standard unix email programs, such as uw-imap?
    Life under windows would be unbearable without cygwin.

    You are also cross-posting a bit wildly - linux people can probably help you
    out more than windows people, but I'm not sure the embedded linux guys are
    the right ones to ask.

  6. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    Eugene Burtsev wrote:
    > I am looking for a good reliable email server for windows xp+ , but
    > seem to get nothing. I want to have IMAP and POP3 access, smtp goes

    Hmmm, installing a reliable email server over un unreliable operating system doesn't seems
    to be a good idea. 8-)

    It will be surely easier, cheaper and more reliable to get a PC, install some Unix flavor
    (FreeBSD or Linux, e.g.) and use sendmail.

    > without saying. This is my last resort since I looked everywhere and
    > couldn't find it, plus it does not help that I absolutely hate
    > everything about MS when it comes to serving.
    >
    > Help?
    >
    > Eugene

    Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ Tel. 33) 01.40.51.93.41
    Ecole des Mines de Paris http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
    60, bd Saint Michel http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
    75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06 mailto:Jose-Marcio.Martins@ensmp.fr

  7. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    What I want is open source email server, something on the level of
    linux grade. The thing is that I'd like it to run on windows. Now I
    know dozens exelent email servers that are for windows and are
    independant of server architecture, but I always find something that
    is lucking plus if I have to go with closed source software I alradu
    have MS exchange. The thing that I hate about MS is that it eats up a
    lot of resourced on arbitraty staff, something I'd runther stend on
    users, but if I leave then the organization will be better off with
    windows based machine, because lets face it there aren't as many
    people who can administer linux as there are people who can reboot and
    click on couple of icons.

  8. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    What I want is open source email server, something on the level of
    linux grade. The thing is that I'd like it to run on windows. Now I
    know dozens exelent email servers that are for windows and are
    independant of server architecture, but I always find something that
    is lucking plus if I have to go with closed source software I alradu
    have MS exchange. The thing that I hate about MS is that it eats up a
    lot of resourced on arbitraty staff, something I'd runther stend on
    users, but if I leave then the organization will be better off with
    windows based machine, because lets face it there aren't as many
    people who can administer linux as there are people who can reboot and
    click on couple of icons.

  9. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    What I want is open source email server, something on the level of
    linux grade. The thing is that I'd like it to run on windows. Now I
    know dozens exelent email servers that are for windows and are
    independant of server architecture, but I always find something that
    is lucking plus if I have to go with closed source software I alradu
    have MS exchange. The thing that I hate about MS is that it eats up a
    lot of resourced on arbitraty staff, something I'd runther stend on
    users, but if I leave then the organization will be better off with
    windows based machine, because lets face it there aren't as many
    people who can administer linux as there are people who can reboot and
    click on couple of icons.

  10. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    What I want is open source email server, something on the level of
    linux grade. The thing is that I'd like it to run on windows. Now I
    know dozens exelent email servers that are for windows and are
    independant of server architecture, but I always find something that
    is lucking plus if I have to go with closed source software I alradu
    have MS exchange. The thing that I hate about MS is that it eats up a
    lot of resourced on arbitraty staff, something I'd runther stend on
    users, but if I leave then the organization will be better off with
    windows based machine, because lets face it there aren't as many
    people who can administer linux as there are people who can reboot and
    click on couple of icons.

  11. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    "Eugene Burtsev" wrote in message
    news:c8aa5f95.0310290009.2ec23a32@posting.google.c om

    > What I want is open source email server, something on the level of
    > linux grade. The thing is that I'd like it to run on windows.

    You're in the wrong group[s] then.

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies

  12. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    ynotssor wrote:

    >>What I want is open source email server, something on the level of
    >>linux grade. The thing is that I'd like it to run on windows.

    > You're in the wrong group[s] then.

    As well as the wrong universe

    Maurits.

  13. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, David Brown wrote:
    > Why not get cygwin and use standard unix email programs, such as uw-imap?
    > Life under windows would be unbearable without cygwin.

    As much as I would like to advocate UW-IMAP :-) I don't think that Cygwin
    plus UNIX servers is the answer for servers under Windows. The original
    poster would be best off finding native server software for Windows.

    Cygwin is a compatibility package; and as such it has limitations which
    are intrinsic to all compatibility packages. The environment that Cygwin
    creates is a cross between UNIX and Windows that fits into neither. This
    creates lots of subtle little issues that will trip up non-trivial
    programs.

    For example, locking under Cygwin is done via fcntl() but implemented via
    the Windows LockFileEx() call. The result works differently than fcntl()
    locking on UNIX. From UW-IMAP's perspective, this has both good and bad
    consequences; but in any case it's something that has to be treated
    specially.

    Another example is open(). Cygwin implements a Windows-style open() in
    which newline conversion (CRLF <=> LF) is done unless you set the O_BINARY
    flag. The O_BINARY flag doesn't exist on UNIX. UNIX code that
    manipulates binary files and/or does its own newline handling, won't know
    that it needs to set O_BINARY (and in fact generally can't).

    Still another is server login. Cygwin has setuid() and friends, but to
    actually make things happen you also have to do calls into the Windows
    logon and impersonate routines.

    Now, these things all make perfect sense (and I would probably make the
    same choices if I was developing Cygwin); but the result is that Cygwin
    isn't really either a UNIX or Windows environment. The mere fact that
    UNIX software builds and starts on Cygwin is just the start. There's lots
    more that has to be changed.

    Cygwin is enormously helpful in porting UNIX tools when a full-fledged
    port to native Windows is either unnecessary or too time-consuming. But
    for something like a server, I recommend a native server implementation.
    That means one of the following:
    . native Windows servers
    . run VMware under Windows, boot UNIX under VMware, run UNIX servers
    . run UNIX instead of Windows.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  14. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    Eugene Burtsev writes:

    > What I want is open source email server, something on the level of
    > linux grade. The thing is that I'd like it to run on windows. Now I
    > know dozens exelent email servers that are for windows and are
    > independant of server architecture, but I always find something that
    > is lucking plus if I have to go with closed source software I alradu
    > have MS exchange.

    Unfortunately, the open source community for Windows is rather small. I'd
    be very surprised if you can find a functioning open source mail server for
    the Windows platform. If there was one, I'd probably heard of it by now.

    Neither is one likely to emerge in the future. AFAIK the most recent
    Microsoft development tools' EULA prohibit using those tools to develop
    software that's released under the most popular open-source license.

    Although there are a fledging amount of Win32-buildable projects on
    Sourceforge, technically they are illegal and Microsoft could probably have
    them shut down, if they wanted to.

    There is no future for open source on the Windows platform. Forget it.

  15. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    Sam wrote in message news:...
    > Eugene Burtsev writes:
    >
    > > What I want is open source email server, something on the level of
    > > linux grade. The thing is that I'd like it to run on windows. Now I
    > > know dozens exelent email servers that are for windows and are
    > > independant of server architecture, but I always find something that
    > > is lucking plus if I have to go with closed source software I alradu
    > > have MS exchange.

    > Unfortunately, the open source community for Windows is rather small. I'd
    > be very surprised if you can find a functioning open source mail server for
    > the Windows platform. If there was one, I'd probably heard of it by now.
    >
    > Neither is one likely to emerge in the future. AFAIK the most recent
    > Microsoft development tools' EULA prohibit using those tools to develop
    > software that's released under the most popular open-source license.
    >
    > Although there are a fledging amount of Win32-buildable projects on
    > Sourceforge, technically they are illegal and Microsoft could probably have
    > them shut down, if they wanted to.
    >
    > There is no future for open source on the Windows platform. Forget it.
    >

    > --It's out there and was originally produced by EMWAC (European

    Microsoft Windows NT Academic Center). It's freeware and people have
    written spam filters and other plug-in's for it. It has pretty decent
    documentation to boot. I first found out about it through someone
    that authored a book on Active Directory and that's what he'd been
    running for the last several years. Do a Google search for
    imsi386.zip or go to http://www1.sica.com/ims/. It works on Windows
    NT or 2000, don't know about 2003.

    When I installed it, it was pretty straight forward. Remember to
    download the imshtml.zip, it's some of the help files.

    Hope it helps,

    Rick

  16. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    Rick writes:

    >> There is no future for open source on the Windows platform. Forget it.
    >>

    >> --It's out there and was originally produced by EMWAC (European

    > Microsoft Windows NT Academic Center). It's freeware and people have

    freeware is not the same thing as open source.

    > written spam filters and other plug-in's for it. It has pretty decent
    > documentation to boot. I first found out about it through someone
    > that authored a book on Active Directory and that's what he'd been
    > running for the last several years. Do a Google search for
    > imsi386.zip or go to http://www1.sica.com/ims/. It works on Windows
    > NT or 2000, don't know about 2003.

    Neither of your two suggestions resulted in anything that looks like an open
    source mail server for the Windows platform.

    “open source” means (very generally) the availability of thesource code.
    A very brief search failed to come up with anything that looked like
    meaningful source code, and build instructions.

  17. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    Sam wrote in message news:...
    > Rick writes:
    >
    > >> There is no future for open source on the Windows platform. Forget it.
    > >>

    > >> --It's out there and was originally produced by EMWAC (European

    > > Microsoft Windows NT Academic Center). It's freeware and people have

    > freeware is not the same thing as open source.
    >
    > > written spam filters and other plug-in's for it. It has pretty decent
    > > documentation to boot. I first found out about it through someone
    > > that authored a book on Active Directory and that's what he'd been
    > > running for the last several years. Do a Google search for
    > > imsi386.zip or go to http://www1.sica.com/ims/. It works on Windows
    > > NT or 2000, don't know about 2003.

    > Neither of your two suggestions resulted in anything that looks like an open=
    >
    > source mail server for the Windows platform.
    >
    > =E2=80=9Copen source=E2=80=9D means (very generally) the availability of the=
    > source code.
    > A very brief search failed to come up with anything that looked like
    > meaningful source code, and build instructions.
    >

    > My bad, you're right. I took liberty in interpreting what he was searching for.

  18. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    Eugene Burtsev wrote:

    > What I want is open source email server, something on the level of
    > linux grade.

    So run Linux, or FreeBSD.

    > because lets face it there aren't as many
    > people who can administer linux as there are people who can reboot and
    > click on couple of icons.

    Ok.....

    So if you leave your organization, you'd rather leave it in the hands
    of someone who can "reboot and click on a couple of icons" than
    "administer" a server?

    :-)

    --
    David.

  19. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    Eugene Burtsev wrote:
    > windows based machine, because lets face it there aren't as many
    > people who can administer linux as there are people who can reboot and
    > click on couple of icons.

    You can also install an thing called 'XFree86' with a desktop
    environment called 'Gnome' or 'KDE' on Linux, and you can click around
    on icons again as much as you want :-)

    Wumpus

  20. Re: Open source mail server on windows, oh my...

    > For example, locking under Cygwin is done via fcntl() but implemented via
    > the Windows LockFileEx() call. The result works differently than fcntl()
    > locking on UNIX. From UW-IMAP's perspective, this has both good and bad
    > consequences; but in any case it's something that has to be treated
    > specially.
    > Another example is open(). Cygwin implements a Windows-style open() in
    > which newline conversion (CRLF <=> LF) is done unless you set the O_BINARY
    > flag. The O_BINARY flag doesn't exist on UNIX. UNIX code that
    > manipulates binary files and/or does its own newline handling, won't know
    > that it needs to set O_BINARY (and in fact generally can't).

    mhh . why don't just store all the data into a database? platform
    independent ???

    Michael Baus

+ Reply to Thread