Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux - Questions

This is a discussion on Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux - Questions ; Dual boot problem! Existing W98Se installation on hda. Installed RedHat 9 on hdb1, (swap file hdb2). Selected GRUB install to hdb1 (boot). Copied hdb1 boot sector to floppy as filename linux.bin and copied it to c:\ From dual boot setup ...

  1. Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux

    Dual boot problem! Existing W98Se installation on hda. Installed
    RedHat 9 on hdb1, (swap file hdb2). Selected GRUB install to hdb1
    (boot). Copied hdb1 boot sector to floppy as filename linux.bin and
    copied it to c:\
    From dual boot setup instructions I followed, expected to find
    (hidden) file C:\boot.ini but is not there. I suspect the instructions
    are for Win2k/ME/XP and that W98 does not use boot.ini?
    If I power up, machine boots up with W98. I can boot up Linux using
    boot floppy.
    Can someone advise how to setup GRUB so that I get a choice of which
    OS to boot on powerup?

  2. Re: Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux

    "Euneek" skrev i meddelandet
    > Dual boot problem! Existing W98Se installation on hda. Installed
    > RedHat 9 on hdb1, (swap file hdb2). Selected GRUB install to hdb1
    > (boot). Copied hdb1 boot sector to floppy as filename linux.bin and
    > copied it to c:\
    > From dual boot setup instructions I followed, expected to find
    > (hidden) file C:\boot.ini but is not there. I suspect the instructions
    > are for Win2k/ME/XP and that W98 does not use boot.ini?
    > If I power up, machine boots up with W98. I can boot up Linux using
    > boot floppy.
    > Can someone advise how to setup GRUB so that I get a choice of which
    > OS to boot on powerup?

    Write LILO/GRUB on the MBR, then you get what youre after.

  3. Re: Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux

    Euneek wrote:

    > Can someone advise how to setup GRUB so that I get a choice of which
    > OS to boot on powerup?

    .... write grub to the MBR
    ..
    The notion of a "record" is an obsolete remnant of the days
    of the 80-column card. - Dennis M. Ritchie

  4. Re: Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:33:54 GMT, "Conny"
    wrote:

    >Write LILO/GRUB on the MBR, then you get what youre after.

    No, then you get Windows trying to write to MBR everytime you boot up
    Windows. Thanks for nothing, linux guru.

  5. Re: Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux

    Odd. I would have thought he was right after I took the IBM tutorial on
    grub and did what he is suggesting dozens of times over a year of
    testing and reinstalling various operating systems and dual/tri/quad
    boot configurations. I still have a grub floppy around here somewhere
    just so I can rewrite an MBR should the need arise. Maybe I'm missing
    something but Windows never tried to write to the MBR when I dual booted.

    That tutorial is at:
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...nuxgrub-i.html
    It is free but you'll have to create an account.
    I'm assuming you don't have one.

    Euneek wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:33:54 GMT, "Conny"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Write LILO/GRUB on the MBR, then you get what youre after.
    >>

    > No, then you get Windows trying to write to MBR everytime you boot up
    > Windows. Thanks for nothing, linux guru.

  6. Re: Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux

    wrote:

    >"Euneek" skrev i meddelandet
    >> Can someone advise how to setup GRUB so that I get a choice of which
    >> OS to boot on powerup?

    >Write LILO/GRUB on the MBR, then you get what youre after.

    Did that - now, when W98 boots, it tries to overwrite the MBR. BIOS
    antivirus gives alert that MBR is about to be me modified, and lets me
    block it. Do Linux users endure this as a "feature" of dual boot?

  7. Re: Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux

    Michael wrote:

    > Odd. I would have thought he was right after I took the IBM tutorial on
    > grub and did what he is suggesting dozens of times over a year of
    > testing and reinstalling various operating systems and dual/tri/quad
    > boot configurations. I still have a grub floppy around here somewhere
    > just so I can rewrite an MBR should the need arise. Maybe I'm missing
    > something but Windows never tried to write to the MBR when I dual booted.
    >
    > That tutorial is at:
    > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...nuxgrub-i.html
    > It is free but you'll have to create an account.
    > I'm assuming you don't have one.
    >
    > Euneek wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:33:54 GMT, "Conny"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Write LILO/GRUB on the MBR, then you get what youre after.
    >>>

    >> No, then you get Windows trying to write to MBR everytime you boot up
    >> Windows. Thanks for nothing, linux guru.

    Yeh, he's got the antivirus software or the bios watching for changes in the
    boot sector. Every time GRUB fixes it the antivirus or boot sector
    protection wants to put it back. Simple fix: turn that crap off, Better fix
    is to reformat the windows drive and use it for extra storage.
    Eric

  8. Re: Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux

    Man a guy gave you a tip which didn't work... It's okay to make
    mistakes... You didn't have to insult him... Because if you like doing
    so no-one will like you and you will be most likely not to get answers
    in the near future...

    friendly advice...

  9. Re: Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux

    windows booting the MBR ?!@??!? BWA HAHAHAHAHHA ... good one!

    > Windows. Thanks for nothing, linux guru.

    if you have all the answers, why are you here?
    ..
    A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.
    - Ben Franklin

  10. Re: Need Help w dual boot W98/Linux

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:24:24 -0500, Euneek typed:

    > Did that - now, when W98 boots, it tries to overwrite the MBR. BIOS
    > antivirus gives alert that MBR is about to be me modified, and lets me
    > block it. Do Linux users endure this as a "feature" of dual boot?

    No, only those people that do not realize that the BIOS anti-virus feature
    is geared for Microsoft only. Turn it off!!!

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

+ Reply to Thread