Help! XP wont load after linux install - Questions

This is a discussion on Help! XP wont load after linux install - Questions ; Just installed Linux RedHat v9 to a new partition on my desktop and now I get a NTLDR missing message when I try to launch XP from the boot manager... I know that I probably need to modify the ks.cfg ...

  1. Help! XP wont load after linux install

    Just installed Linux RedHat v9 to a new partition on my desktop and now I
    get a NTLDR missing message when I try to launch XP from the boot manager...
    I know that I probably need to modify the ks.cfg but don't know:
    a) how to get to this file through Linux
    b) what hdxx details to add (how do I list the filesystems when running
    Linux?)
    c) whether this is the right issue to tackle!

    Help!

  2. Re: Help! XP wont load after linux install

    Linux supposed to be loaded first , then XP......
    you may have to redo....

  3. Re: Help! XP wont load after linux install

    AJ wrote:
    > Just installed Linux RedHat v9 to a new partition on my desktop and now I
    > get a NTLDR missing message when I try to launch XP from the boot manager...
    > I know that I probably need to modify the ks.cfg but don't know:
    > a) how to get to this file through Linux
    > b) what hdxx details to add (how do I list the filesystems when running
    > Linux?)
    > c) whether this is the right issue to tackle!
    >
    > Help!

    I recently had this happen to myself when I accidentally installed grub
    into the boot sector of my XP partion blowing away the ntloader. I
    should have just installed it into the mbr of the drive.

    Anyway, if you boot with your xp disk and enter the rescue command
    prompt mode they have two commands fixmbr and fixboot. fixmbr for
    loaders in the MBR and fixboot for loaders in the bootsector.

    Of course, I contemplated just getting rid of XP entirely and living
    permanently in LinuxLand.....perhaps that really is the best choice..

    ;-)

    Hope this helps.

  4. Re: Help! XP wont load after linux install

    >> Just installed Linux RedHat v9 to a new partition on my desktop and now I
    >> get a NTLDR missing message when I try to launch XP from the boot
    >> manager...
    >> I know that I probably need to modify the ks.cfg but don't know:

    > Of course, I contemplated just getting rid of XP entirely and living
    > permanently in LinuxLand.....perhaps that really is the best choice..
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    I just did that. My XP crashed due to unknown error. I haven't bothered
    to fix it. I am going to back up the data, convert the XP partition to
    ext3.

    Currently in Linuxland and very happy.

    -Nyarlathotep

  5. Re: Help! XP wont load after linux install

    the better choice is to get an NTFS reader and copy the file from dos mode.
    However, if you don't have a FAT16 partition, this won't work.

    if you just put in the xp cd in rescue mode, the drivers will be loaded to
    the same partition as linux and screw everything up.

    I am unfortunately still using windows. After I am fully proficient in
    Linuxland however, I praise the day when I can throw a rock through all of
    them!!

    "Nyarlathotep" wrote in message

    > >> Just installed Linux RedHat v9 to a new partition on my desktop and now

    > >> get a NTLDR missing message when I try to launch XP from the boot
    > >> manager...
    > >> I know that I probably need to modify the ks.cfg but don't know:

    > > Of course, I contemplated just getting rid of XP entirely and living
    > > permanently in LinuxLand.....perhaps that really is the best choice..
    > >
    > > ;-)
    > >
    > > Hope this helps.
    > >

    > I just did that. My XP crashed due to unknown error. I haven't bothered
    > to fix it. I am going to back up the data, convert the XP partition to
    > ext3.
    >
    > Currently in Linuxland and very happy.
    >
    > -Nyarlathotep

+ Reply to Thread