Partition advice for redhat 9 - Questions

This is a discussion on Partition advice for redhat 9 - Questions ; Hi I have just got myself a shiny new computer with a 80Gb hard drive and 512Mb of ram. I have used linux on various systems over the years and although I am happy with most things - I always ...

  1. Partition advice for redhat 9

    Hi

    I have just got myself a shiny new computer with a 80Gb hard drive
    and 512Mb of ram. I have used linux on various systems over the years
    and although I am happy with most things - I always seem to screw up
    choosing my partitions. Is there a standard way of partitioning a
    drive of this size? Should I put things in a certain order?

    What I eventually want is a system that dual boots into redhat 9 for
    me and Windows 98 for the gf. I am perfect happy with getting it to
    dual boot - just wondering if there is a prefered method for
    partioning. I am thinking along the lines of

    /boot - 50mb (Is this still partition still needed these days)
    /swap - 1024mb (In the old days 2*physical ram was the norm but this
    seems excessive)
    / - 20000mb - for the redhat core and any packages i may add on
    /win - 20000mb - for windows
    /home - whaever is left - for files and data on linux

    When i use the partioning tool in redhat 9 the result looks a bit
    messy - seems to go a little haywire if I use more than 4 partitions.

    Any thoughts would be appeciated - thanks

    Mike

  2. Re: Partition advice for redhat 9

    mike wrote:

    > /boot - 50mb (Is this still partition still needed these days)
    > /swap - 1024mb (In the old days 2*physical ram was the norm but this
    > seems excessive)
    > /*****-*20000mb*-*for*the*redhat*core*and*any*packages*i*may*add*on
    > /win**-*20000mb*-*for*windows
    > /home - whaever is left - for files and data on linux
    >
    > When i use the partioning tool in redhat 9 the result looks a bit
    > messy - seems to go a little haywire if I use more than 4 partitions

    .... it could be you need to create an extended partition and
    then create the rest as logical.

    /boot is not absolutely required
    swap ... i'd only go with 512 (or 256)
    ..
    Newton's Fourth Law: Every action has an equal and opposite satisfaction.

  3. Re: Partition advice for redhat 9

    If u have got lot of hdd space u can try linux server option

    /usr 4gb
    / 750mb
    /var 750mb
    /opt 750mb
    /tmp 250mb
    /boot 750mb
    /home 500mb
    /root 500mb
    swap double of RAM

    I think that is all for u. have some prob. mail me

+ Reply to Thread