PCTel modem problems - Questions

This is a discussion on PCTel modem problems - Questions ; anyone who can help. my son is using linux 2.4 kernel. Chipset of winmodem shows PCT388P. windows normally assigns it irq5. Linux command to query the modem has been run (pnpdump).... it says checksum error and assumes the card is ...

  1. PCTel modem problems

    anyone who can help. my son is using linux 2.4 kernel. Chipset of winmodem
    shows PCT388P. windows normally
    assigns it irq5. Linux command to query the modem has been run
    (pnpdump).... it says checksum error and assumes the card is defective. I
    believe the question my son is asking me (and I am forwarding to you all) is
    what does it take to get it running.... besides getting a hardware modem.
    it's being run on a amd k62-300 machine. he says he thinks it is ISA, but I
    thought all winmodems were PCI. thanks
    Archer

  2. Re: PCTel modem problems

    Archer wrote:

    > it's being run on a amd k62-300 machine. he says he thinks it is ISA, but
    > thought all winmodems were PCI. thanks

    have you been here to check: http://www.linmodems.org/
    ..
    Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach. - S. C. Johnson

  3. Re: PCTel modem problems

    check out www.linmodems.org (good advice Mr. Tobler) for some more
    information. When I was using a linmodem I had to edit some files that
    came with the driver they had out there but they have come a long way.
    you may also have to look at using a non-standard dialer. I ended up
    using various ones but it took trying different ones to get one to work
    the first time.

    Archer wrote:

    > anyone who can help. my son is using linux 2.4 kernel. Chipset of winmodem
    > shows PCT388P. windows normally
    > assigns it irq5. Linux command to query the modem has been run
    > (pnpdump).... it says checksum error and assumes the card is defective. I
    > believe the question my son is asking me (and I am forwarding to you all) is
    > what does it take to get it running.... besides getting a hardware modem.
    > it's being run on a amd k62-300 machine. he says he thinks it is ISA, but I
    > thought all winmodems were PCI. thanks
    > Archer

+ Reply to Thread