New to Linux Questions : Suggestions welcome - Questions

This is a discussion on New to Linux Questions : Suggestions welcome - Questions ; I am looking into messing with Linux for the first time and currently totally in the dark with the subject. I have been messing with computers since the 8088 DOS machines in 1989 before the point and click stuff and ...

  1. New to Linux Questions : Suggestions welcome

    I am looking into messing with Linux for the first time and currently
    totally in the dark with the subject. I have been messing with
    computers since the 8088 DOS machines in 1989 before the point and
    click stuff and building my newest machines as of recently so I would
    think I could grasp a new area without much trouble.

    The thing I am seeing is so many different names associated with
    Linux. I am assuming Red Hat is the most popular and if I go with Red
    Hat should I go with Red Hat Linux 9 Personal or the Professional
    version. This will be operating on a home machine made up of the
    following hardware.

    It will be on its own drive replacing one of the operating systems
    currently there.

    Any know conflicting Hardware listed?

    Any helpful sites on Linux you might have to pass on would be
    appreciated as well.

    WindTunnel IV Case
    Fortron 400W PSU
    Asus A7M266 mobo 1007 bios
    RD1-2M Bios Savior
    Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1736
    Vantec CCK-6035D copper cooler
    Asus V8200 T2 Geforce 3 Pure 64 mb
    512 Crucial PC2100 DDR memory
    Creative Audigy Xgamer
    Toshiba SD-M1612-S DVD
    TDK 32x10x40 VeloCD CD-RW
    ROMTEC Trios Hard Drive selector
    3 Seagate 80 gig 7200 Drives
    Dlink DFE530TX+ PCI nic
    Motorola Surfboard SB3100 cable modem
    Linksys BEFSR41 router
    Zoom v.92 v.44 PCI modem
    Windows 98 SE
    Windows XP Home SP1
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    Direct X 8.1

  2. Re: New to Linux Questions : Suggestions welcome

    In article <15dqovkhek9l1qqd6c6kdlae7clgnnf5ch@4ax.com>,
    Hawkeye__59@SPAMMENOThotmail.com says...

    > ..

    my suggestion is dont touch red hat with a barge pole anymore

    I wont elaborate to keep things short but regulars
    here can work out why I suggest that to newbies as of recently

    One good thing you may want to try is to download one of these Linux on a
    CD distro's - download the ISO and burn it to a CD then boot it - no
    configuration or anything else needed - try

    Knoppix or Dynabolic perhaps - I have dynabolic

    These are complete Linux distros with applications configured that run
    entirely off the CD which you boot from

    They dont copy anything to your hard drive and yet you get a full working
    linux distro to look at and use

    I've been very impressed with the one I have and now suggest it to anyone
    who wants to just check out linux

    after that you can ask specific questions about the distro's - I believe
    there is a web site that maintains comparisons

  3. Re: New to Linux Questions : Suggestions welcome

    Hawkeye wrote in message news:<15dqovkhek9l1qqd6c6kdlae7clgnnf5ch@4ax.com>...

    > The thing I am seeing is so many different names associated with
    > Linux. I am assuming Red Hat is the most popular and if I go with Red
    > Hat should I go with Red Hat Linux 9 Personal or the Professional
    > version. This will be operating on a home machine made up of the
    > following hardware.

    I recently installed Linux on my machine at home, so perhaps my
    experience can help...

    What I recommend is going to a bookstore, and finding a good book on
    Red Hat 9. SAMS Teach Yourself Red Hat Linux 9 in 24 Hours is what I
    bought. It was about $30, and came with Red Hat on 2 CDs. The book
    walks you through setting up a partition (which I recommend for
    newbies) and covers installation. It's pretty simple, but you should
    probably set aside a couple hours so you can take your time. During
    the installation, you're able to customize Red Hat for what you intend
    to use it for (Desktop computer, Server, etc.)

    > It will be on its own drive replacing one of the operating systems
    > currently there.
    >
    > Any know conflicting Hardware listed?

    You should DEFINITELY check for hardware compatibility with Red Hat
    before you install. I made the mistake of assuming everything I had
    would work fine, only to find that my sound card, Ethernet card, and
    printer weren't supported. Frustrating to say the least...

    Here's a good site for hardware compatibility:
    http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/technical/hcl/

    > Any helpful sites on Linux you might have to pass on would be
    > appreciated as well.

    Depends what you want to use it for. For instance, there's plenty of
    web pages out there on switching to Linux from Windows. Google is
    your friend.

    Another benefit to getting a book is that it will introduce you to the
    command-line mode, which you should definitely learn to get the most
    out of Linux. If you're used to Windows, this might seem like a
    burden, but you'll really gain an appreciation of how Linux works, and
    learn a lot in the process.
    Good luck.

  4. Re: New to Linux Questions : Suggestions welcome

    My computer experince with DOS is probably similar to yours. I
    installed Red Hat 7.1 on an old Pentium 163 a year and a half ago to
    see how it worked. I set it up with samba and use it to store files.
    It stays on all the time and works great. Red Hat installed fine on
    it. Only computer that never locks up and comes back up fine after
    the occasional power failure. Very stable. It runs so well that I
    have almost forgotten how to use it.

    Recently, because I have more computers around to play with, I
    purchased on eBay the latest Mandrake and the Red Hat 9. I played
    with both on a Dell Pentium II 450. They both installed and worked
    fine. Both systems installed easily, found my home network, found my
    internet connection via my ISDN TA, and were confortable sharing the
    lan with my windows computers. Only thing neither system could deal
    with is the Dell on-board sound. I will fix that by putting in a
    soundblaster card and disabling Dell on-board sound.

    I decided to learn more, so I bought the Red Hat Bible for version 9
    from Barnes and Noble online. Something like $35 because it was on
    sale. It actually came with Red Hat 9 CD's included. I like the book
    and will stay with Red Hat for now on both computers, mostly because
    of having the book.

    Linux has made me crazy, but asking questions from time to time on
    these newsgroups has help me out considerably. The book is helping
    me to understand and helps me do things in linux that I know how to do
    by heart using old DOS commands.

    Linux is just a curious thing for me, like a lot of other people I
    think, and a source of mental stimulation. Learning Linux is a better
    use of time than watching television, I think.

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:51:52 -0400, Hawkeye
    wrote:

    >I am looking into messing with Linux for the first time and currently
    >totally in the dark with the subject. I have been messing with
    >computers since the 8088 DOS machines in 1989 before the point and
    >click stuff and building my newest machines as of recently so I would
    >think I could grasp a new area without much trouble.
    >
    >The thing I am seeing is so many different names associated with
    >Linux. I am assuming Red Hat is the most popular and if I go with Red
    >Hat should I go with Red Hat Linux 9 Personal or the Professional
    >version. This will be operating on a home machine made up of the
    >following hardware.
    >
    >It will be on its own drive replacing one of the operating systems
    >currently there.
    >
    >Any know conflicting Hardware listed?
    >
    >Any helpful sites on Linux you might have to pass on would be
    >appreciated as well.
    >

    >WindTunnel IV Case
    >Fortron 400W PSU
    >Asus A7M266 mobo 1007 bios