multiple OS co-exist? - Questions

This is a discussion on multiple OS co-exist? - Questions ; Hi : I have a desktop installed a windowsXP and Redhat9.0, recently I have a project which need a older version of linux, the problem is that I don't want to wipe out my redhat9. so I try to install ...

  1. multiple OS co-exist?

    Hi :
    I have a desktop installed a windowsXP and Redhat9.0, recently I have a
    project which need a older version of linux, the problem is that I don't
    want to wipe out my redhat9. so I try to install 7.0 on the same machine.
    Using the installation disk. It reach a point where disk druid show me all
    the partitions I have. Something like this:
    hda1 vfs
    hda2 NTFS (my windowsXP)
    hda3 Ext3 (/boot partition for my rh9)
    unallocated (5G space Freed using partition magic)
    hda4----extended
    |____hda5 Ext3(/ root partition for my rh9)
    |____hda6 Ext3(/usr partition for my rh9)
    |____swap (rh 9 swap)

    When I try to create root partition using those 5G unallocated free space. I
    got an error says " unable to create partition, no free primary partition".
    I heard there are some sort of " 4 primary partition limit".
    if so ,How do I install another linux on my desktop?

    Tnank you!
    ls

  2. Re: multiple OS co-exist?

    well... i am not sure but i guess you have to create a primary
    partition YOURSELF with partition magic... try that

  3. Re: multiple OS co-exist?

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:40:02 -0400, chris, sun wrote:

    > Hi :
    > I have a desktop installed a windowsXP and Redhat9.0, recently I have a
    > project which need a older version of linux, the problem is that I don't
    > want to wipe out my redhat9. so I try to install 7.0 on the same machine.
    > Using the installation disk. It reach a point where disk druid show me all
    > the partitions I have. Something like this:
    > hda1 vfs
    > hda2 NTFS (my windowsXP)
    > hda3 Ext3 (/boot partition for my rh9)
    > unallocated (5G space Freed using partition magic)
    > hda4----extended
    > |____hda5 Ext3(/ root partition for my rh9)
    > |____hda6 Ext3(/usr partition for my rh9)
    > |____swap (rh 9 swap)

    You can only have four primary partitions. One of the four can be
    subdivided into extended partitions. What
    you have to do is allocate the free space which you have to the
    4th primary partition. You will be able to install
    another linux in new extended partitions carved from that.

    " unable to create partition, no free primary
    > partition". I heard there are some sort of " 4 primary partition limit".

    Exactly.

    > if so ,How do I install another linux on my desktop?

    In another partition(s) in the 4th primary partition. You have to
    move the free space to the 4th partition, which PM can totally do.
    To actually partition the free space, once it is in the 4th
    partition, it is probably better to use a linux tool to format the space
    you wish to install into, but no harm in giving PM a crack at it.

    It doesn't help much that the 4th primary partition is called the
    "extended partition". Kinda confusing between the whole and its parts.
    daveA

    --
    Br`er Fox told Br`er Rabbit that the Tar Baby had dissed him, and Fox made a
    dummy out of tar and put him in Rabbit's path. When the Tar Baby failed to

+ Reply to Thread