Command line interface freezing up?? - Questions

This is a discussion on Command line interface freezing up?? - Questions ; Hello, I recently installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my PII(450 Mhz). I was teaching myself to use it last night when I had a strange problem. After working for a while in the command-line mode (sorry if this isn't ...

  1. Command line interface freezing up??

    Hello,

    I recently installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my PII(450 Mhz). I was
    teaching myself to use it last night when I had a strange problem.

    After working for a while in the command-line mode (sorry if this
    isn't the proper term), the whole interface seemed to freeze up. I
    could type away but nothing showed on the screen.

    At first I thought it was my wireless keyboard, but I could still
    press Ctrl+Alt+F7 and get back to the GUI. After flipping back to the
    previous command-line mode (F1) things still didn't work. I could
    open new ones with Ctrl+Alt+F2(F3, F4, etc.) and they all seemed to
    work fine.

    This was frustrating, and after logging off and then logging back on
    as my user name (not root) the F1 console was still frozen with all my
    old text. I couldn't find any way to terminate the command-line
    interface or start over.

    What's happening here? Any way to fix this?

    In case you can't already tell, I'm pretty new to Linux. I like it so
    far (this minor problem nothwithstanding).

    Thanks.

    -B.H.

  2. Re: Command line interface freezing up??

    On 14 Oct 2003 08:43:22 -0700, Octane wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my PII(450 Mhz). I was
    > teaching myself to use it last night when I had a strange problem.
    >
    > After working for a while in the command-line mode (sorry if this
    > isn't the proper term), the whole interface seemed to freeze up. I
    > could type away but nothing showed on the screen.
    >
    > At first I thought it was my wireless keyboard, but I could still
    > press Ctrl+Alt+F7 and get back to the GUI. After flipping back to the
    > previous command-line mode (F1) things still didn't work. I could
    > open new ones with Ctrl+Alt+F2(F3, F4, etc.) and they all seemed to
    > work fine.
    >
    > This was frustrating, and after logging off and then logging back on
    > as my user name (not root) the F1 console was still frozen with all my
    > old text. I couldn't find any way to terminate the command-line
    > interface or start over.
    >
    > What's happening here? Any way to fix this?
    >
    > In case you can't already tell, I'm pretty new to Linux. I like it so
    > far (this minor problem nothwithstanding).
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -B.H.

    bash supportis XON and XOFF flow control so that one can do things like
    pause scrolling. XON/XOFF = Control-Q/Control-S

    Is it possible you hit a Control-S without noticing?

  3. Re: Command line interface freezing up??

    Creideiki wrote in message news:...

    > bash supportis XON and XOFF flow control so that one can do things like
    > pause scrolling. XON/XOFF = Control-Q/Control-S
    >
    > Is it possible you hit a Control-S without noticing?

    Hmm...I suppose it IS possible. I'll try that if it happens again.

    Wax on...wax off!

    Thanks for the tip.

    -BH

+ Reply to Thread