most items in Main Menu in gnome Mandrake Linux 9.1 is missing. - Questions

This is a discussion on most items in Main Menu in gnome Mandrake Linux 9.1 is missing. - Questions ; log out, lock screen, screenshot, open recent, search for files, run program, and amusement are there but everything else is gone. one suggestion i read said i could restore the links to the application at /usr/share/applnk-mdk, but that didn't work. ...

  1. most items in Main Menu in gnome Mandrake Linux 9.1 is missing.

    log out, lock screen, screenshot, open recent, search for files, run
    program, and amusement are there but everything else is gone. one
    suggestion i read said i could restore the links to the application at
    /usr/share/applnk-mdk, but that didn't work. it said that there are
    probably some other broken links. the message suggested i reinstall
    kde but i'm using gnome. if i uninstall and reinstall gnome-desktop
    won't i lose all my settings. and is it gnome-desktop that i have to
    reinstall or is it gnome-panel or both.

  2. Re: most items in Main Menu in gnome Mandrake Linux 9.1 is missing.

    Max wrote:

    > if i uninstall and reinstall gnome-desktop
    > won't i lose all my settings. and is it gnome-desktop that i have to
    > reinstall or is it gnome-panel or both

    .... what i'd do is rename all references (to gnome) in the ~
    directory and restart gnome. then you can copy over the data
    you need in those renamed subdirs to the newly-created subdirs
    ..
    Peace, n.: In international affairs, a period of cheating
    between two periods of fighting. "The Devil's Dictionary"

  3. Re: most items in Main Menu in gnome Mandrake Linux 9.1 is missing.

    thanks for your reply. i'm not sure what you mean. can u explain in a
    bit more detail.

  4. Re: most items in Main Menu in gnome Mandrake Linux 9.1 is missing.

    Max wrote:

    > thanks for your reply. i'm not sure what you mean. can u explain in a
    > bit more detail.

    .... what i'd do is rename all references (to gnome) in the ~
    directory and restart gnome. then you can copy over the data
    you need in those renamed subdirs to the newly-created subdirs

    open a terminal (window or screen) and 'cd' to your home,
    then get a list of gnome stuff, as in the following:

    mtobler@stimpy:~> cd ~
    mtobler@stimpy:~> ls -al | grep gno
    drwx------ 7 mtobler users 296 2003-07-03 06:39 .gnome
    drwxr-xr-x 2 mtobler users 104 2003-07-12 12:16 .gnome-desktop
    drwx------ 7 mtobler users 312 2003-10-12 10:19 .gnome2
    drwx------ 2 mtobler users 48 2003-01-06 20:21 .gnome2_private
    drwx------ 2 mtobler users 48 2003-06-20 19:07 .gnome_private
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mtobler users 143 2003-07-12 12:09 .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2

    now, you want to rename those, using the 'mv' command

    mtobler@stimpy:~> mv .gnome .gnome_old
    mtobler@stimpy:~> mv .gnome-desktop .gnome-desktop_old
    mtobler@stimpy:~> mv .gnome2 .gnome2_old
    mtobler@stimpy:~> mv .gnome2_private .gnome2_private_old
    mtobler@stimpy:~> mv .gnome_private .gnome_private_old
    mtobler@stimpy:~> mv .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2 .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2_old

    so, these directories and their contents will continue to exist,
    but the next time gnome starts up, it'll see that none of its
    directories exist in your /home dir, so it will (re)create
    those afresh, then, if you have any data you need from the old
    directories, you can just copy that stuff over
    ..
    Faith is the quality that enables you to eat blackberry jam on
    a picnic without looking to see whether the seeds move.

  5. Re: most items in Main Menu in gnome Mandrake Linux 9.1 is missing.

    thanks for the detailed reply. i tried but the same items are missing
    from the main menu. it did get rid of a problem where i had mandrake
    control center starting when i login. do u have any other ideas?
    appreciate it.

  6. Re: most items in Main Menu in gnome Mandrake Linux 9.1 is missing.

    cp -r /usr/share/applnk-mdk to /var/lib/gnome/Mandrake. The latter
    contains the elements of Main Menu. I don't know why its also kep in
    applnk-mdk

+ Reply to Thread