Linux incompatibility - why? - Questions

This is a discussion on Linux incompatibility - why? - Questions ; Joerg of Cdda2wav says, "Linux is the most self incompatible OS... Libc.so.6 is definitely a big problem in binary compatibility" in the doc that comes with Cdrtools. My question is, why? I'm a newcomer and my first gripe 'bout Linux ...

  1. Linux incompatibility - why?

    Joerg of Cdda2wav says, "Linux is the most self incompatible OS...
    Libc.so.6 is definitely a big problem in binary compatibility" in the
    doc that comes with Cdrtools. My question is, why?

    I'm a newcomer and my first gripe 'bout Linux is when I want to
    install new application. KDE for instance, I got to wait for hours for
    it to finish compiling and it's not fun at all. As the end user, why
    in the world I'd need to know what the programmers wrote? RPM is nice
    but packages build for RH are not likely portable to others. More than
    often I have to install applications by compiling from the source and
    see messages that doesn't make a sense to me.

    Is this really a war of the Linux distros, as suggested by Joerg?

  2. Re: Linux incompatibility - why?

    PH wrote:

    > but packages build for RH are not likely portable to others. More than
    > often I have to install applications by compiling from the source and
    > see messages that doesn't make a sense to me

    .... i install a boat-load of applications without compiling
    ..
    The scum also rises. - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

+ Reply to Thread