RH9 Installation Problem - Questions

This is a discussion on RH9 Installation Problem - Questions ; I've finished installing the RH9 in my machine and it tells me to restart the machine. After it is restarted, it has entered a Welcome page which tells me that - There are a few more steps to take before ...

  1. RH9 Installation Problem

    I've finished installing the RH9 in my machine and it tells me to restart
    the machine. After it is restarted, it has entered a Welcome page which
    tells me that -

    There are a few more steps to take before your system is ready to use.
    .... Please click the "Forward" button in the lower right corner to continue.

    After I've clicked the "Forward" button, it sent me to a blue screen with an
    hourglass mouse cursor. But after 2~3 seconds, it sent me back to a black
    screen and stopped there. When I move the mouse or press a key on the
    keybroad, it will try to go to the blue screen and sent back again.
    Moreover, after several trials, it will appear a text-mode message box, said
    "Failed to start the display server several times in a short time period;
    disabling display :0". When clicking OK, it will send me back to the black
    screen and then really stopped there, and the mouse and the keybroad do not
    have response this time.

    Actually what is the problem? and how can I solve it?
    Thanks very much

  2. Re: RH9 Installation Problem

    Arco wrote:

    > Actually what is the problem? and how can I solve it?

    The problem is (most likely) you misidentified your video display adaptor
    during the X configuration step.

    1. Do not cross-post as you have done. Too many groups, too little
    justifcation.

    2. Reboot, edit the kernel line in Grub, add "init 3" to the end of the
    line, resume booting, edit /etc/X11/XF86Config to fix your display
    problems.

    You may find some help sorting out what happened in /var/log/XFree86.0.log,
    which should contain some messages about what happened.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

+ Reply to Thread