Linux... which to start with and which to continue? - Questions

This is a discussion on Linux... which to start with and which to continue? - Questions ; Okay, since I am new to linux I would like to know which Linux to start with. I've heard that SuSE would be my best bet if I'm a newbie with Linux. I just wanna know many guys' opinion... So ...

  1. Linux... which to start with and which to continue?

    Okay, since I am new to linux I would like to know which Linux to
    start with. I've heard that SuSE would be my best bet if I'm a newbie
    with Linux. I just wanna know many guys' opinion... So what Linux do
    you think it's better to start with?

    And when I get comfy with my linux, should I go on with that one or
    switch to something better? I've heard that starting with SuSE and
    then switching to Mandrake or RedHat is cool... Just opinions I want.

    Another question... What's mandrake different from redhat different
    from suse???

    BTW: I mostly need linux for programming stuff (the GCC indeed rocks).

    PS. What do you think is a proper partition size for a proper linux
    install and use? 25-30 GB?

  2. Re: Linux... which to start with and which to continue?

    Chris Mantoulidis wrote:

    > And when I get comfy with my linux, should I go on with that one or
    > switch to something better? I've heard that starting with SuSE and
    > then switching to Mandrake or RedHat is cool... Just opinions I want.

    .... mandrake has 'traditionally' been the newbie Linux distro.
    suse is a good one, the pro edition being the more packed version.
    download mandrake, check it out
    ..
    Hartley's Second Law: Never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself.

  3. Re: Linux... which to start with and which to continue?

    In article ,
    cmad_x@yahoo.com says...
    > Okay, since I am new to linux I would like to know which Linux to
    > start with. I've heard that SuSE would be my best bet if I'm a newbie
    > with Linux. I just wanna know many guys' opinion... So what Linux do
    > you think it's better to start with?

    I started with RedHat. However, Redhat has changed their focus so much
    since their IPO that I don't think I would recommend them to a newcomer.

    > PS. What do you think is a proper partition size for a proper linux
    > install and use? 25-30 GB?

    It's a bit more bother to setup, but having several partitions adds to
    security and administration. I tend to regularly experiment and
    completely destroy things so it's nice to have all my personal files on
    /home where I can recover them after reinstalling the OS.

    With a 25-30 Gb disk, something along these lines might work:
    swap: 512 Mb (??? depends )
    /usr: 2 Gb (for added security, mount it read-only after install)
    /var: 500 - 1000Mb (depending on the types of servers you're running)
    /root: 1 Gb (it's a lot, but when you need it, you REALLY need it).
    / : 500 Mb
    /home: 20-25 Gb (or whatever is left)
    You can also make a tiny partition for /boot, it doesn't need much

    --

    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to
    gain ground"

  4. Re: Linux... which to start with and which to continue?

    On 12 Oct 2003 11:25:13 -0700, cmad_x@yahoo.com (Chris Mantoulidis)
    wrote:

    >Okay, since I am new to linux I would like to know which Linux to
    >start with. I've heard that SuSE would be my best bet if I'm a newbie
    >with Linux. I just wanna know many guys' opinion... So what Linux do
    >you think it's better to start with?

    http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major has a good summary
    of the major distributions (and more minor ones than you knew existed).
    How many you try depends more on how big your download pipe is and how
    much patience you have.

    Also look at the "one CD" distros (Knoppix is popular). They're useful
    even if you have another distro as your main one.

    On the good karma side, RedHat is the only (AFAIK) distro that's
    counter-suing SCO over the ongoing FUD campaign, so throwing some
    support (and a couple of dollars) their way might be a nice thing to do.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

  5. Re: Linux... which to start with and which to continue?

    As I said, i'm a newbie

    So i really would like some more info on what's /dev or /home or
    /usr... Are they directories???

    plz be patient

    BTW: What file system should i apply? ext2 or ext3?

  6. Re: Linux... which to start with and which to continue?

    lol... so which linux u recommend to start with? Mdr or SuSE?

    well, i can't d/l them so i can't really experiment... my connection
    is 384 Kbps ADSL and it would take forever to d/l such great (in size)
    stuff.

    Oh and lol... i resized my Windows partitions smaller, to sum up to 25
    GB. So i got 45 GB free for Linux

    btw: i really DON'T get what swap is...

  7. Re: Linux... which to start with and which to continue?

    Chris Mantoulidis wrote:
    > lol... so which linux u recommend to start with? Mdr or SuSE?

    I've no experience on Mandrake, but I should say use SuSE, It works well
    for me but I've switched to Slackware for now to learn some more
    linuxstuff.

    > well, i can't d/l them so i can't really experiment... my connection
    > is 384 Kbps ADSL and it would take forever to d/l such great (in size)
    > stuff.

    What's the problem, that;s just my download speed, I just start my
    computer when I go to sleep and when I get back from school it's
    finished or else I let it run just till it's so (In total I've
    downloaded around 6 GB of linux distro cd's). you've got ADSL so you
    don't pay per minute. I don't see the problem.

    > Oh and lol... i resized my Windows partitions smaller, to sum up to 25
    > GB. So i got 45 GB free for Linux

    The more the better.

    > btw: i really DON'T get what swap is...

    Swap is space on your harddisk which linux uses when it runs out of
    memory. Windows has it to only it places it in a file not on a partition.

    --
    Pim 'WWWebMaster' Vullers //// http://www.vullersnet.tk
    pimvullers@hotmail.com (@ @) vullers@home.nl

  8. Re: Linux... which to start with and which to continue?

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:25:13 -0700, Chris Mantoulidis wrote:

    > Okay, since I am new to linux I would like to know which Linux to
    > start with. I've heard that SuSE would be my best bet if I'm a newbie
    > with Linux. I just wanna know many guys' opinion... So what Linux do
    > you think it's better to start with?

    debian.

    Also, unless your machine is an antique, don't bother with a swap
    partition and just designate a swap file. You will probably never use it
    unless something is seriously wrong, so you shouldn't care about the
    efficiency and it's just a waste of disk space. daveA

    --
    Br`er Fox told Br`er Rabbit that the Tar Baby had dissed him, and Fox made a
    dummy out of tar and put him in Rabbit's path. When the Tar Baby failed to

  9. Re: Linux... which to start with and which to continue?

    i think my pc ain't old...

    pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz
    512 MB DDR RAM
    40-45 GB to spare for linux