How to get the Vendor/Flavor for linux? - Questions

This is a discussion on How to get the Vendor/Flavor for linux? - Questions ; Hi, Can anyone please let me know what command can we use to find out which flavor of linux we are using? ie. Red hat or SuSE or Mandrake? I need this to put in an installation script. Thanks, Jitesh...

  1. How to get the Vendor/Flavor for linux?

    Hi,
    Can anyone please let me know what command can we use to find out
    which flavor of linux we are using?
    ie. Red hat or SuSE or Mandrake?

    I need this to put in an installation script.

    Thanks,
    Jitesh

  2. Re: How to get the Vendor/Flavor for linux?

    On 11 Oct 2003 03:26:49 -0700, Jitesh K Patil wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Can anyone please let me know what command can we use to find out
    > which flavor of linux we are using?
    > ie. Red hat or SuSE or Mandrake?
    >
    > I need this to put in an installation script.

    Can depend on distribution.
    cat /proc/version gives *kernel* information, but watchout if it
    is a custom compile.

    Redhat/Mandrake cat /etc/*release*
    Slackware/Slackintosh cat etc/*version*

    for the rest go here
    and in the first box, put
    echo Caldera Base Version - /var/lib/LST/BASEVERSION:
    *linux* in the Newsgroup, pick English

  3. Re: How to get the Vendor/Flavor for linux?

    Jitesh K Patil, Systems Engineer, Wipro Technologies. wrote:

    > I need this to put in an installation script

    ..... why not check someone's "configure" script for this?
    ..
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind. - Mark Harrold

  4. Re: How to get the Vendor/Flavor for linux?

    mjt wrote in message news:...
    > Jitesh K Patil, Systems Engineer, Wipro Technologies. wrote:
    >
    > > I need this to put in an installation script

    > .... why not check someone's "configure" script for this?
    > .

    the files
    /etc/SuSE-release
    /etc/mandrake-release
    tell you what version of the corresponding distribution is used.

    i only have mandrake and suse, so no idea about other distris.

  5. Re: How to get the Vendor/Flavor for linux?

    phantox@gmx.de (Sven Wandersleb) writes:

    > mjt wrote in message news:...
    > > Jitesh K Patil, Systems Engineer, Wipro Technologies. wrote:
    > >
    > > > I need this to put in an installation script

    > > .... why not check someone's "configure" script for this?
    > > .

    > the files
    > /etc/SuSE-release
    > /etc/mandrake-release
    > tell you what version of the corresponding distribution is used.
    >
    > i only have mandrake and suse, so no idea about other distris.

    For RedHat, check /etc/issue.

    Vilmos

+ Reply to Thread