Another few gnuby questions... - Questions

This is a discussion on Another few gnuby questions... - Questions ; Hi, I'm not exactly unfamiliar with computers, but having been a windoze user for many years, there's a few gaps in my knowledge! I've installed redhat9, but the choice of distro was because I had the CDs to hand. I'm ...

  1. Another few gnuby questions...

    Hi, I'm not exactly unfamiliar with computers, but having been a windoze
    user for many years, there's a few gaps in my knowledge!

    I've installed redhat9, but the choice of distro was because I had the CDs
    to hand. I'm overall very happy with it, esp OpenOffice.

    Anyway, I'm having problems installing programs, The following console
    should explain:

    [emily@froghome emily]$ su
    Password:
    [root@froghome emily]# rpm -ihv xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm
    Preparing... ###########################################
    [100%]
    package xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21 is already installed
    [root@froghome emily]# rpm -q xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm
    package xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm is not installed
    [root@froghome emily]#

    So now WTF is going on here?? with -q it is not installed, but when I use -
    i to install, it can't because it already is! This is typical of my
    attempts to install packages so far.

    What is the simplest way to install packages on linux, preferably with the
    gui? Can I just double-click the rpm file?

    --
    Jim H jh
    @333

  2. Re: Another few gnuby questions...

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:23:37 +0000, Jim H typed:

    > Hi, I'm not exactly unfamiliar with computers, but having been a windoze
    > user for many years, there's a few gaps in my knowledge!
    >
    > I've installed redhat9, but the choice of distro was because I had the
    > CDs to hand. I'm overall very happy with it, esp OpenOffice.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm having problems installing programs, The following console
    > should explain:
    >
    > [emily@froghome emily]$ su
    > Password:
    > [root@froghome emily]# rpm -ihv xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm
    > Preparing...
    > ########################################### [100%]
    > package xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21 is already installed
    > [root@froghome emily]# rpm -q xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm package
    > xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm is not installed [root@froghome emily]#
    >
    > So now WTF is going on here?? with -q it is not installed, but when I
    > use - i to install, it can't because it already is! This is typical of
    > my attempts to install packages so far.

    To find out if a package is installed query by the package name, not the
    filename of the package. Example;

    rpm -ihv xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm <--to install the package. rpm -q
    xmms-mpg123 <--find out the package is installed or not.

    > What is the simplest way to install packages on linux, preferably with
    > the gui?

    apt with the synaptic GUI interface, available here with instructions;

    http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

    > Can I just double-click the rpm file?

    Depending on the package, dependencies. permissions and such... Yes

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

  3. Re: Another few gnuby questions...

    more from the 'Lenard school' of comp.os.linux.questions-ism:

    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:23:37 +0000, Jim H typed:
    >
    >> Hi, I'm not exactly unfamiliar with computers, but having been a
    >> windoze user for many years, there's a few gaps in my knowledge!
    >>
    >> I've installed redhat9, but the choice of distro was because I had
    >> the CDs to hand. I'm overall very happy with it, esp OpenOffice.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm having problems installing programs, The following
    >> console should explain:
    >>
    >> [emily@froghome emily]$ su
    >> Password:
    >> [root@froghome emily]# rpm -ihv xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm
    >> Preparing...
    >> ########################################### [100%]
    >> package xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21 is already installed
    >> [root@froghome emily]# rpm -q xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm package
    >> xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm is not installed [root@froghome emily]#
    >>
    >> So now WTF is going on here?? with -q it is not installed, but when I
    >> use - i to install, it can't because it already is! This is typical
    >> of my attempts to install packages so far.

    > To find out if a package is installed query by the package name, not
    > the filename of the package. Example;
    >
    > rpm -ihv xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm <--to install the package. rpm
    > -q xmms-mpg123 <--find out the package is installed or not.

    Thanks! Once I've installed a package where do I go to run it? In this
    case it isn't really aplicable, but say I was to install q3a, wopuld it
    then appear in the main menu or would I have to find an exectuable
    somewhere?

    >> What is the simplest way to install packages on linux, preferably
    >> with the gui?

    > apt with the synaptic GUI interface, available here with instructions;
    >
    > http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

    ta.

    >> Can I just double-click the rpm file?

    > Depending on the package, dependencies. permissions and such... Yes

    And, I suppose I'd get an error message if it needed anything I hadn't
    got?

    --
    Jim H jh
    @333

  4. Re: Another few gnuby questions...

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:52:29 +0000, Jim H typed:

    > more from the 'Lenard school' of comp.os.linux.questions-ism:

    > Thanks! Once I've installed a package where do I go to run it? In this
    > case it isn't really aplicable, but say I was to install q3a, wopuld it
    > then appear in the main menu or would I have to find an exectuable
    > somewhere?

    In some cases it would appear in the main menu (after exiting and
    restarting the session) in other cases you would have to add it to the
    main menu (adding the /path_to_the/executable). You should consider
    reading the manuals available here;

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

    >>> Can I just double-click the rpm file?

    >> Depending on the package, dependencies. permissions and such... Yes

    > And, I suppose I'd get an error message if it needed anything I hadn't
    > got?

    That's why I suggested apt/synaptic it takes care of most of this for you.

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

+ Reply to Thread