System or package hierarchy? - Questions

This is a discussion on System or package hierarchy? - Questions ; ....Hi. I've been looking around a few linux systems, and one thing that has struck me is the undecided way in which packages are installed. Simply, modularity vs. common function. There's a definite feeling to the /usr/local directory on some ...

  1. System or package hierarchy?

    ....Hi. I've been looking around a few linux systems, and one thing that has
    struck me is the undecided way in which packages are installed. Simply,
    modularity vs. common function. There's a definite feeling to the
    /usr/local directory on some of these systems as just another "Program
    Files" folder, any yet that's not it's original use (I'm thinking it was
    just originally a hack so that a system could be "standardized" come
    inspection time). So, what's your opinion, ./[PACKAGE]/bin/program, or
    ../bin/[PACKAGE]/program?

    --
    Zallus Kanite
    - President and CEO of Zarokean Operations Corp. (http://z0.EXAMPLE.COM)

    [GEEK]: GIT/M/S d+ s+: a- C++++ UL++++ P+ L+++ E--- W+++ N+ o? K- w--- O? M-
    V-- PS+++ PE-- Y+ PGP t+ 5? X++ R+ tv++ b+ Dl++++ D--- G e+++ h+ r++ y**

  2. Re: System or package hierarchy?

    "Zallus Kanite" wrote in message
    news:Fybbb.1005833$3C2.22464372@news3.calgary.shaw .ca

    > ...Hi. I've been looking around a few linux systems, and one thing
    > that has struck me is the undecided way in which packages are
    > installed. Simply, modularity vs. common function. There's a definite
    > feeling to the /usr/local directory on some of these systems as just
    > another "Program Files" folder, any yet that's not it's original use
    > (I'm thinking it was just originally a hack so that a system could be
    > "standardized" come inspection time). So, what's your opinion,
    > ./[PACKAGE]/bin/program, or ./bin/[PACKAGE]/program?

    My opinion is that you read
    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/node20.html.gz rather than drawing
    conclusions from your "feelings."

    There are any number of other references to the filesystem layout if you
    don't like that one.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies