Command to differentiate Linux distributions and versions - Questions

This is a discussion on Command to differentiate Linux distributions and versions - Questions ; Is there a linux command function that will tell me the linux distribution (RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, etc.) and version information (for RedHat: 7.3, 8.0, 9.0; for SuSE: 7.3, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2)? I would like to be able to identify ...

  1. Command to differentiate Linux distributions and versions

    Is there a linux command function that will tell me the linux
    distribution (RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, etc.) and version
    information (for RedHat: 7.3, 8.0, 9.0; for SuSE: 7.3, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2)?

    I would like to be able to identify the Linux distribution and version
    in my script.

    Thanks in advance,
    Ken

  2. Re: Command to differentiate Linux distributions and versions

    On 18 Sep 2003 16:57:44 -0700, Ken Jones wrote:
    > Is there a linux command function that will tell me the linux
    > distribution (RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, etc.) and version
    > information (for RedHat: 7.3, 8.0, 9.0; for SuSE: 7.3, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2)?
    >
    > I would like to be able to identify the Linux distribution and version
    > in my script.

    Can depend on distribution.
    Try cat /proc/version

    Redhat/Mandrake cat /etc/*release*

    for the rest go here
    and in the first box, put
    echo Caldera Base Version - /var/lib/LST/BASEVERSION:
    *linux* in the Newsgroup, pick English

  3. Re: Command to differentiate Linux distributions and versions

+ Reply to Thread