The following problem description is long-winded but probably
some guru will recognize it quickly even from a brief skim-read.

I have two RedHot installations, but there are several annoying
differences between the two. One of the annoyances is the way
gnome-terminal works, after I've run the ``nvi'' program.
This may sound like nit-picking, but for me it turns into a major
annoyance. (Xterm and xiterm exhibit the same
unfortunate behavior as gnome-terminal.)

Both machines work the same (which I assume to be the ``correct''
way) if I don't enter an editor, or if I've exited or suspended
the standard ``vi'' editor.

The problem is that I don't use ``vi''. I run a program called
``nvi'' whose source I found and compiled many years ago, copying
the binary to my new machine. Perhaps finding that source again
and recompiling is part of the solution to my problem. Nvi works
fine on the older RedHat version but not on the new one.
(Sorry for the vague "old" and "new" -- details on request -- but
I'll bet anyone who knows the answer won't need the details.)

(Why I need to use ``nvi'' instead of its new ``improved'' cousin
would be the topic of a different message, though an underlying
theme would be identical: ``Compatibility with old users'
expectations is preferred to minor improvements, please!''.
If you've not heard of nvi, let's just say it's more like the
real vi than the standard vi supplied with RedHat!)

After suspending the editor on the *old* machine,
I see the pre-editor data on the screen (and
the edit command) which is very convenient.
For example, when iterating the commands
`` vi foo.c ; cc foo.c ; a.out ''
the outputs from a.out(s) are visible on the screen when not editing.

On the new machine, the screen contains part of nvi's screen when
suspended. After exiting, the nvi stuff is gone, but so are some
of the recent pre-nvi commands.

(The misbehavior may not
arise after exiting ``nvi'' *unless* I previously suspended that
editor with control-Z and resumed it. Yes, I could avoid my problem
with different work habits, using a 2nd window instead of suspending
the editor. But I already keep three active windows on my desktop;
should I keep six? More to the point, should users be expected to
modify their habits after every software upgrade?)

.. . . . . .

There are also differences with the scroll-bar, even without running
an editor. On the old system, after scrolling up to look at old
messages, any keystroke will force the scroll-bar back to the bottom.
Xterm and xiterm work this way on the new system, but not gnome-terminal.
Perhaps there are gnome-terminal configuration parameters I need to
learn about. (I have no idea which behaviour is a priori better,
but after getting used to one way, gratuitous change is annoying;
especially as I continue to use the old system also.)

Well, thanks for listening.
Any help appreciated.
James