Send Mail Question - Questions

This is a discussion on Send Mail Question - Questions ; Hello, another somewhat newbie here. I am currently trying to work with sendmail/procmail/rc.mail file. What I need to do in an ideal world is have e-mail that is sent to a specific address sent out to multiple recipients I.E if ...

  1. Send Mail Question

    Hello,
    another somewhat newbie here. I am currently trying to work with
    sendmail/procmail/rc.mail file. What I need to do in an ideal world is
    have e-mail that is sent to a specific address sent out to multiple
    recipients I.E if an email is sent to admin@myorg.net have it resent to
    joe@myorg.net fred@myorg.net and pete@myorg.net. I can currently get it
    resent to one person by using the following type line in my rc.mail file

    :0:
    * ^TO.admin@myorg.net
    ! joe@myorg.net.net

    I have tried to mod it like this

    :0:
    * ^TO.admin@myorg.net
    ! joe@myorg.net
    ! fred@myorg.net

    but that didn't work. Can anyone give me a pointer on this and maybe
    even refer me to a url that is really good for info on the sendmail
    system or what I need.

    Thanks

    Sagan

  2. Re: Send Mail Question

    Try this instead.
    1) Add an entry like so in your /etc/aliases file

    admin-list: joe@myorg.net, pete@myorg.net

    2) Then run newaliases to update the db file
    bash#> newaliases

    3) Add en entry in your /etc/mail/virtusertable

    admin@myorg.net admin-list

    4) Remake the db file
    bash#> makemap hash virtusertable.db < virtusertable

    5) restart sendmail

    Good luck,
    Jeff

    "Ralph" wrote in message
    news:Xns93F77B7FF92F6l0rdsaganhotmailcom@63.240.76 .16...
    > Hello,
    > another somewhat newbie here. I am currently trying to work with
    > sendmail/procmail/rc.mail file. What I need to do in an ideal world is
    > have e-mail that is sent to a specific address sent out to multiple
    > recipients I.E if an email is sent to admin@myorg.net have it resent to
    > joe@myorg.net fred@myorg.net and pete@myorg.net. I can currently get it
    > resent to one person by using the following type line in my rc.mail file
    >
    > :0:
    > * ^TO.admin@myorg.net
    > ! joe@myorg.net.net
    >
    > I have tried to mod it like this
    >
    > :0:
    > * ^TO.admin@myorg.net
    > ! joe@myorg.net
    > ! fred@myorg.net
    >
    > but that didn't work. Can anyone give me a pointer on this and maybe
    > even refer me to a url that is really good for info on the sendmail
    > system or what I need.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Sagan

  3. Re: Send Mail Question

    "Jeff Howard" wrote in message

    > Try this instead.
    > 1) Add an entry like so in your /etc/aliases file
    > admin-list: joe@myorg.net, pete@myorg.net

    If you would stop top-posting, then maybe you would have seen that he wants
    the email addressed to "admin", not admin-list. Since the alias members are
    in the same class $w domain, adding the domain for those alias members is a
    waste of effort.

    > 2) Then run newaliases to update the db file
    > bash#> newaliases

    admin: member1, member2, {...,} memberN

    is the solution.

    > 3) Add en entry in your /etc/mail/virtusertable
    > admin@myorg.net admin-list
    > 4) Remake the db file
    > bash#> makemap hash virtusertable.db < virtusertable

    A useless, non-sensical use of the virtusertable when the entire request of
    the OP's can be easily and simply handled in the aliases file.

    > 5) restart sendmail

    Totally un-necessary when working with modified *.db or *.{pag, dir} files.

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies

  4. Re: Send Mail Question

    I quoted and wrote in message

    >> 3) Add en entry in your /etc/mail/virtusertable
    >> admin@myorg.net admin-list
    >> 4) Remake the db file
    >> bash#> makemap hash virtusertable.db < virtusertable

    > A useless, non-sensical use of the virtusertable when the entire
    > request of the OP's can be easily and simply handled in the aliases
    > file.

    I forgot to mention that the makemap invocation is wrong too.

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies