Q: file sharing among Linux, Win2000, Mac OS X? - Questions

This is a discussion on Q: file sharing among Linux, Win2000, Mac OS X? - Questions ; I have a small network that includes a RedHat Linux 7.3 box, a Windows 2000 Professional box, and a Mac OS X box, among others. I'd like to support file sharing among these three machines. So far, I've had limited ...

  1. Q: file sharing among Linux, Win2000, Mac OS X?

    I have a small network that includes a RedHat Linux 7.3 box, a Windows
    2000 Professional box, and a Mac OS X box, among others. I'd like to
    support file sharing among these three machines.

    So far, I've had limited success. Enabling "Personal File Sharing" on
    the Mac allows the Win2000 box to see the Mac's files. The other five
    possible pairwise file-sharing arrangements have failed. In some cases,
    the client cannot see the server machine; in some cases it reports
    permission failures. I've tried such things as creating identical
    accounts (user name, password) on all machines, and setting the most
    unrestrictive permissions possible on all machines.

    I'd appreciate pointers to documentation that addresses configuring
    these machines to work together. I'm a long-time Mac and UNIX/Linux
    user, but a newbie to Windows. The Windows box is likely to be my main
    file server, so allowing the other two machines to mount its shared
    folders is my priority.

    Please respond to this group. Thanks.

    Gary Ford
    Plaid Flannel Software

  2. Re: Q: file sharing among Linux, Win2000, Mac OS X?

    Gary Ford wrote in news:110920031530365327%
    throwaway1557@earthlink.net:

    > I have a small network that includes a RedHat Linux 7.3 box, a Windows
    > 2000 Professional box, and a Mac OS X box, among others. I'd like to
    > support file sharing among these three machines.
    >
    > So far, I've had limited success. Enabling "Personal File Sharing" on
    > the Mac allows the Win2000 box to see the Mac's files. The other five
    > possible pairwise file-sharing arrangements have failed. In some cases,
    > the client cannot see the server machine; in some cases it reports
    > permission failures. I've tried such things as creating identical
    > accounts (user name, password) on all machines, and setting the most
    > unrestrictive permissions possible on all machines.
    >
    > I'd appreciate pointers to documentation that addresses configuring
    > these machines to work together. I'm a long-time Mac and UNIX/Linux
    > user, but a newbie to Windows. The Windows box is likely to be my main
    > file server, so allowing the other two machines to mount its shared
    > folders is my priority.
    >
    > Please respond to this group. Thanks.
    >
    > Gary Ford
    > Plaid Flannel Software

    samba
    http://www.samba.org/

  3. Re: Q: file sharing among Linux, Win2000, Mac OS X?

    BobC wrote in
    news:Xns93F3967477CD1bcurtistreborsystems@204.127. 204.17:

    > samba
    > http://www.samba.org/

    Additionally, use the comp.protocols.smb newsgroup. That's where the Samba
    people hang out. And v3.0 of Samba is imminent, and is supposed to work
    much better when integrating into Windows domains.

    --
    Kenneth Porter
    http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/

  4. Re: file sharing among Linux, Win2000, Mac OS X?

    Samba will make a Unix box appear as a Windows box on your network.
    MS Services for Unix will make your Windows server appear as an NFS server
    for your Unix clients.

    Otherwise SMBClient on your Linux box (sorry no experience with OS X, but
    damn I want a G5) will allow you to map a drive to the Windows server.

    "Gary Ford" wrote in message
    news:110920031530365327%throwaway1557@earthlink.ne t...
    > I have a small network that includes a RedHat Linux 7.3 box, a Windows
    > 2000 Professional box, and a Mac OS X box, among others. I'd like to
    > support file sharing among these three machines.
    >
    > So far, I've had limited success. Enabling "Personal File Sharing" on
    > the Mac allows the Win2000 box to see the Mac's files. The other five
    > possible pairwise file-sharing arrangements have failed. In some cases,
    > the client cannot see the server machine; in some cases it reports
    > permission failures. I've tried such things as creating identical
    > accounts (user name, password) on all machines, and setting the most
    > unrestrictive permissions possible on all machines.
    >
    > I'd appreciate pointers to documentation that addresses configuring
    > these machines to work together. I'm a long-time Mac and UNIX/Linux
    > user, but a newbie to Windows. The Windows box is likely to be my main
    > file server, so allowing the other two machines to mount its shared
    > folders is my priority.
    >
    > Please respond to this group. Thanks.
    >
    > Gary Ford
    > Plaid Flannel Software