what is gnu - Questions

This is a discussion on what is gnu - Questions ; hi i am a new guy to linux i was just curious that gnu stands for what. i know this thing that gnu is (gnu is not unix) but what is gnu in this "gnu is not unix" help me ...

  1. what is gnu

    hi

    i am a new guy to linux i was just curious that gnu stands for what. i
    know this thing that gnu is (gnu is not unix) but what is gnu in this
    "gnu is not unix" help me in this regard

    thanx

    cupid

  2. Re: what is gnu

    On 10 Sep 2003 06:55:11 -0700, cupid wrote:
    > hi
    >
    > i am a new guy to linux i was just curious that gnu stands for what. i
    > know this thing that gnu is (gnu is not unix) but what is gnu in this
    > "gnu is not unix" help me in this regard
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > cupid

    Its a recursive acronym, which us software people sometimes regard as
    cute,funny, deeply symbolic or something. The G in GNU stands
    for GNU.

    http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/R/r...e-acronym.html

    The GNU project is the origin of the GPL, the legal license that
    is intended to keep software like Linux free. The GNU project
    is also a source of many of the basic programs that make Linux
    usable.

    http://www.gnu.org/

+ Reply to Thread